Parties! When we toured it the first time, I knew. This is a party house and I immediately wanted to host parties for my friends in it. Just took me a few months to settle in but we're ready now. Our inaugural adult party was an early Irish Catholic Saint Patrick's day celebration. Invited the people we know best from school and church, we figured they would be the least likely to mock the Play Like a Champion Today sign. I saw a few smacking it appropriately on the way down to Sean's bat cave so mission was accomplished. Really, the greatest group of people came, everyone laid back and delighted to meet new people, some good mixing going on. Did we recruit anyone to come to the Catholic school? Time will tell. It's not like I laid out brochures… or tucked them into coat pockets…
Anyway, as always I love the party prep and started off picking up some desserts….
Just kidding of course, but this selection of everything I hate on one shelf made me laugh. I had a couple friends who offered very generously to bring some fabulous desserts so I allowed that. Usually I tell people to not bring anything because I truly am just wanting them to come with no worries or obligations, but if someone seems eager and offers up a specific item way in advance then I know they are excited to bring it, so I break my rules for them. Heather brought some fabulous cherry bars, which army got the leftovers today for a treat. Christy brought chocolate cupcakes with Bailey's frosting. I think only one kid snuck that before we realized what was in it. Good stuff. As always, I had caramel bars.
I had been wanting to make Barefoot Contessa stuffed mushrooms for a while now so this was my excuse to try them. I made far too many and Sean was quick to point out that he hates them and thus many people probably agree with him. I spent too much time on these so won't make them again.
Also made the Keenan wings, this is pre-sauce. I have a lot of them leftover too, messy to eat so not very popular. Pea pesto was a hit, bacon wrapped dates with gorgonzola was too. I think I had too many myself. I had to laugh at the end of the night when the big veggie bowl was empty except for every single of piece of celery I put in it. No one was that hungry.
Look, I got people to sit in the living room!! They aren't as possessed as their eyes make them appear.
Oh yes, I also made corned beef sandwiches as homage to Irish food and most of them are leftover too. I was correct in not making more Irish food, potato chips were fine though. Had to work in potatoes somehow!
I tried my best to spread people out throughout the house, instead of all crowding in the kitchen. I was fairly successful. I felt kind of bad telling people who said they loved the kitchen that I am ripping it out. I should have made them unload my dishwasher and try to put dishes away. This was designed by someone who doesn't do that chore. The cabinets that are big enough to hold plates are too high for children to reach and other cabinets are useless because not even I can reach them. What giant designed this?? I also can't stir things in my stockpot because the microwave is too close to the range. Things that will be remedied...
Also, those pendant lights are so low that I have hit my head on them trying to clear off the world's tiniest island. The double ovens were most useful though, those will remain!
Here is the aftermath, not too bad but somehow I have only just now put the last of the dishes away. Well worth it though, the most fun I have had at my own party. Having everything prepared (mostly) before guests arrive is key and then I also demanded that everyone make themselves at home and help themselves to a random assortment of wine glasses above the bar. Can't wait for the next one!

7 comments:
Fun and yum! Where did you get your coffee table in your living room? The rustic one with the iron legs.
The coffee table is from Pottery Barn. Unlike some of their stuff, this is SOLID and heavy. I love it, nothing can hurt it.
Thank you for sharing your home with us, a super fun time & loved meeting new and seeing old friends. It is the perfect party house, not quite ready to convert to catholicism but tempting...
No worries, Keely, no need to convert! Moving next door will make it easier to get home next time though...
Fun times! I'm confused as to why more corned beef sandwiches weren't eaten though?
Dad said you have inherited the party gene. I say you need Brenda's recipe for stuffed mushrooms. I love hers, but only them.
Does your double oven have a delay start on it? Mine in the new house doesn't and I SO SO So miss that feature from the Fort Wayne house. So many night at sports I dream of leaving a cold lasagna in the oven to kick on at 5pm so by the time we drag in at 6pm there would be a non-fast food dinner waiting. Looks like a fun party!! And the kitchen does look good for now!
Post a Comment