Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I'm a brat


I'm a brat, I'm a brat, I'm a brat, I'm a brat, I'm A BRAT! You can sing that to the catchy tune of "I'm a map" from Dora. So yes, I thought I would sing that part up front to acknowledge the fact that I realize I'm totally spoiled to be able to buy myself something pretty whenever Sean has a busy week with lots of moonlighting or being on call for army. Trust me, I joke about buying myself something pretty way more than I actually do it. It's just my way of getting through the days when Sean isn't around and the kids are hyper. Then I don't irrationally get annoyed with him for having to work a lot which isn't his idea of a yeehaw good time either. Now when he takes a golf or Vegas trip, this is an entirely different situation but also involves pretty presents for myself. We did have plenty of years when extra work did not result in extra pay, so I really really appreciate these days.



So look what was on sale last week! I have been checking on these babies for a long time now. Parisian style and a color that goes much better with my natural, earth tones home. The Fiestaware was better suited to a garishly painted tract home in Texas and will be much better for a beach house someday (if I'm super bratty), so I think after 10 years maybe I can pull it out of the rotation, except maybe for summer. Let me also point out that I have a card to lay down, it's the "I didn't register for wedding china" card. Even back then I knew I wanted to keep that card and not end up with some china that a 22 year old thinks is awesome. I also pull out the "didn't have a professional wedding photographer" card out every time I want to get good shots of the kids and anytime we have an event where I need to buy a dress I of course use the "I didn't buy a wedding dress" card. We did have a honeymoon though so I don't have that card but then again, who needs an excuse to travel? We had enough excuse to NOT travel for many many years, namely no money, no time, and tiny babies. Finally inching our way out of that stage, should plan something fun soon... Paris, Heather????

8 comments:

Andrea said...

It's beautiful!

VAMOM said...

Love it!

Marjie said...

Yes, go back to Paris, take pictures this time.
BTW, you are not a brat, you just feel that way because we never had any money.

Marjie said...

Did I mention I love to get new dishes? It always makes me happy. More than new shoes even.

julie said...

The plates do not fit in my cabinets. Time for new cabinets?? Ha ha, just kidding Sean. Or am I? I did take Paris photos just didn't want to bore everyone with them. I even made a book of them.

lisadst said...

you can just send me your dishes! ha ha.

Marjie said...

I am going to have to see the book in April. You have so many cabinets, they have to fit somewhere. Or maybe new would be best.

Katie said...

the next question is do they fit in your dishwasher?