Sunday, December 2, 2012

Long Week

It seems like it has been a month since we started planning the trip to Miami.  Only a week??  Thankfully it was a good week to seem long, unlike every single week when Sean was gone.  I received congratulations all over the place; it was like I had a baby but WAY less tiring.  It seems that everyone is remembering that ND going to the National Championship is not related at all to K-State not going to the National Championship, so no one is blaming us or keying my car.  This has been a huge motivation for people to get back in touch too... hearing from old college friends has been fantastic and we hope to see many of them down there.  Now who all is going to pony up $1500 for a ticket remains to be seen, but we will have plenty of other events to go to.  I'm just happy for a trip that doesn't involve our children.  As we were reminded once again this weekend, traveling with kids isn't relaxing, it's just about "making memories".  That will be another post...

Anyway, we are still adjusting to life with Sean home and once in a while it will hit me that life was sucking not that long ago.  So I'm trying to think of ways to appreciate that and have decided that if we're having a crazy day and I don't feel like cobbling some sort of random freezer dinner together, then I at least get good takeout for Sean and me.  Much easier to do that now that Sean can stay home with the littles while the girls are at piano lessons and I can go sit by myself at the bar of any restaurant and order our food to go.  Such a break for me to just sit there reading a magazine and biting my tongue so as not to get involved in any football debates going on around me.  I may have absorbed too much info from Sean and various sports blogs lately.  I don't think anyone wants to be corrected about some stat by a lady reading a interior design magazine, especially if I can easily pull out my iphone and prove that stat.  How did people used to settle bar debates?  Oh yes, punching.

I should work in some kid stories once in a while so they aren't pissed someday when they read this and figure out how little I posted about them.  Mommy has other interests too...  Anyway, Patrick has really gotten into trying to scare us all the time.  I hear everything, I know where he is at all times, so it gets old having to act surprised every time he runs into a room and yells "surprise".  Monotone voice, "yes, what a surprise, you scared me again."  For like the 18th time this morning.  Emily is trying so hard to be his sidekick, she does anything she can to make him laugh.  This usually involves a lot of potty language.  She is cracking them up during preschool carpool, the boys all egging her on, telling her to repeat their potty phrases which she does with glee.  I just turn up the music.  Emily is also a great sidekick to Megan as she loves to play whatever Megan wants.  Finally, Megan has someone to play American Girl Doll with as Anna isn't really a fan.  Anna is just a fan of playing games on the computer or going outside with her neighbor friend.

Okay, that's enough, back to me.  So another thing that happened last week is that I hurt my thumb while doing some (light) weight lifting.  I don't know which part is most pathetic?  The fact that I can only lift 40 pounds or that it's my thumb that got hurt.  Let me tell you though, you need your thumb for almost everything, it's amazing.  I didn't smash it, I just strained the ligaments according to my radiologist.  Nothing I can do but take it easy apparently and let it tighten back up.  In the meantime, Sean has to cut the ice cream pie.  Thankfully I can feed myself still, otherwise that would be a pretty serious diet.

In other news, Katie and Mark deserve some real congratulations for my new niece, Erin Frances.  Can't wait to meet her and can't wait to hear more about how big brother Lane is adjusting!  That's always the fun part.  Megan is still adjusting to life with siblings and reminds me of that once in a while.  For the most part she likes having them around, just not around and in her stuff.  They had a great time together this weekend at the Great Wolf Lodge though and I will post about that next.  I may even have some grainy photos from my phone to include...

1 comment:

Marjie said...

Your dad and I remark all the time on how smart phones are whipped out at the bar for any controversy. I got a free drink at Marty's on Sat. for answering a question.

You are so wise!