Sunday, September 18, 2011

Burned Out

Turns out that it wasn't just the hot weather making us crabby. No, I think it is the children. I may need to put them in many activities so that they are never home to trash the house or fight with each other. Apparently having one night away last month reminded us that we don't have to constantly be surrounded by screaming and spitting so now it is even more annoying. Also, it is hard to be OCD about the condition of your kitchen when there are children living in the house. Don't even get me started on the yard, which at one point was quite lovely. Patrick now digs holes in random places and Anna rips leaves off bushes. One of them trampled down a whole area of plants and while other people might blame that on some deer but I am quite certain it was children. My outside OCD involves picking up all sorts of brightly colored plastic toys and hiding them in a toy bin, only to have them removed seconds later by Patrick. Now I only do it at night when he is not only in bed, but asleep. I realize it could be much worse... there are families who have more than 4 kids and frankly, I don't know how they function. Some of them have more than one destructo boy too! I suppose in 17 years I will be able to clean the house and have it remain that way for days at a time... in the meantime I may have to adopt Sean's tolerance for clutter.

4 comments:

Jeanette C. said...

I totally recommend a nanny for a few hours a day. Activities just mean more driving time and wrangling up kiddos. If you have someone come to your house you can get shopping done, go have coffee somewhere or hide in the house and read for a couple of hours. If I had it to do all over again I'd even skip preschool and put the money toward a nanny. Just my opinion! Jeanette

julie said...

Thanks Jeanette! I really really appreciate tips from those who have survived. I need to stop being so lazy and go find a new sitter before I turn into an alcoholic. It would be cheaper, haha!

Carrie (and Kevin!) Finnegan said...

I put Avery in preschool two days a week and I'm loving it! My house is clean and there is food in the fridge. I have had a nanny a few days a week in the past, but then nothing gets done, I come home with a ton of $tuff and have to deal with the kids while trying to triage it around the house AND clean up the mess they made while I was gone. (Though I do have one sitter that also counts as a cleaning lady she's so neat. But I only get her two mornings a month.) I've decided offsite childcare is the way to go!!

Marjie said...

Every mom dreams of a neat house, I still do. It is so much more relaxing and calming. Nearly impossible with kids at home. Listen to your friends and use more preschool.