Sunday, February 5, 2012

Krewe of Allegawaho 2012



We changed locations for Mardi Gras this year and took it underground for a speakeasy 1920s theme. The krewe called in favors from all over to make it happen, from finding a random basement warehouse downtown, to getting enough chairs for 200 people. We even ended up buying old silverware from Harry's which was cheaper than renting. The creative artistic people had the vision and spent endless hours planning how to make it happen, because let me tell you, when we first checked out that space I was a little overwhelmed. I'm more the type to order the tables and plates. I'm also the type who won't wear a drop waist 1920s dress because it's just not flattering, but I did pick out a dress that is supposedly vintage style. My hair was done in a 1920s style which wasn't super flattering in my jeans at the grocery store, but looked better with my mask and dress.

Since it was a speakeasy it was in a hidden location and hard to tell people where to go. We ended up having a jazz group playing outside the service entrance to the building, with an old car and krewe flag hanging out. I hope everyone found it... Then they took the elevator down to a junk filled room with a path that wound around to a bookcase (which is what Sean wants in the next house) which opened to reveal the speakeasy. Keeping with the New Orleans Mardi Gras theme we had cajun food from Cox Bros and it was outstanding, and I'm not just saying that because I was on the food committee or because we were starving. They brought the whole hog too. Yes, I was the first one through the line, trying to motivate people to get that part going, such a good role model.













I'm not sure what crazy drama went down after 11:30pm because at that point my feet hurt too much to dance, it was too loud to talk, someone was offering us a ride home, and our sweet babysitter was expecting us. Cell phone reception not awesome in the speakeasy so we were hoping they all survived the night. Now I need to wash out a can of hair spray and go teach Sunday school, wheee! Oh and then go clean up the speakeasy... and hear the good stories of what we missed!

4 comments:

VAMOM said...

So cute. Love your dress! Sean looked very handsome. Sounded like a lot of fun.
Does Sean want just a bookcase in the next house or a bookcase that is a hidden door?

julie said...

Sean wants a secret passageway to his office, not sure how to work it in.

Unknown said...

You looked Amazing Julie, we had such a good time and were also home before midnight, hope you don't mind I linked to your blog so people could look at your pics:)

Marjie said...

Good call on the dress, you looked great. Who doesn't want a secret passage??