Monday, August 17, 2009

Exercise Makes You Fat

At least according to an article on time.com and maybe even in the actual physical Time Magazine, does anyone still read that? Anyway, like I need another excuse to not rejoin the gym or take up running again! The point of the article is definitely true for me though: exercise makes me extra hungry and I eat way more than the calories I burned. Exhibit A: college. We would go out and run two laps around the lakes and then eat everything and anything we wanted for breakfast on the weekends (or dinner on the weeknights). Ah, the convenience of the dining hall... no food shopping, no food prep, no need to decide what to make, if you pick something bad you just go back and get something else.... oh and let's not forget, no clean-up! (Okay, except for those years when I worked in the dining hall, I did my share then to say the least). Yes, feeling nostalgic for those days as I clean up the kitchen for the 5th time today.

Anyway, I was discussing this concept with a friend who also agrees with the research and she took it a step further. She thinks our houses would be cleaner if we didn't work out and get too tired to pick up the crap laying all over the place. I contend that picking up all that crap would be enough exercise to lose weight since I don't sweat doing that and then think I deserve 2 desserts in exchange. I can't really test this theory for a few more months since no matter what I am expanding in every direction, but I will keep you posted. I can assure you that cleaning is a workout though since I was really sore on Saturday night after getting the house totally cleaned. My hips hurt so bad that I couldn't walk to the kitchen for more cake..

4 comments:

Marjie said...

Oh, my poor baby.

Interesting about the Time article. Makes sense.

Marjie said...

How ironic you mention this as I read that article yesterday in the
Dr. office as I waited for him to tell me I get to do my other knee. Thanks treadmill. Dad

Carrie (and Kevin!) Finnegan said...

Exercise is also bad for the environment. Between Kevin and I working out 4-5 days a week, there is at least an extra load of laundry just dealing with sweaty gym clothes!!

Karen Allmen said...

Yeah, this article has confirmed so much for me... I used to feel bad about GAINING weight while training for a marathon, but now I know it was probably inevitable.

For me, running = french fries. And there's just no changing that.