Thursday, August 6, 2009

Wasting away again on Ft Riley

Not nearly as fun as it sounds either, it is not Ft Margaritaville, after all. I made my second attempt today to get my military ID renewed. The first time the nationwide DEERS computers were down indefinitely and after an hour of waiting- and an hour of Sean missing work- with no end in sight we gave up. So, got the sitter again today and headed back down there only to find that it was a mere 3 hour wait. Well, she was lying to me of course as that 3 hours would run into lunch hour and these are government employees, so that 3 hours is paused for a 1.5 hour lunch hour, so make that 4.5 hour wait. At $13/hr for a sitter? Hell no. If I am waiting 4.5 hours for something, it better be for a baby to arrive. In fact, those 4.5 hours would be only slightly more painful than waiting in those horrible chairs listening to people on their cell phones having the world's most boring conversations. I even brought a book thinking it would be a hour wait and I'd need something to do. Ha ha, so naive!

It was also military police fundraising day based on the number of people I saw pulled over getting tickets. I was followed most of the time I was on post and since we've been in the Army 8 years now I know that 30mph means 30 mph, not 32mph. Is this how the Army pays for the stuff they want but aren't given? It was body armor and better Humvees a few years ago, surely there is something else as necessary that they need now but isn't in the budget. Oh but our fine Defense Appropriations chair Rep. John Murtha has tacked on $80 million to the budget for an antimissile defense project (based in his district) that Defense Secretary Robert Gates wants killed. I think that means the military doesn't want it? Yes, let's have lobbyists and their bribes, kick backs, and kick downs determine what this military (and country in general) needs. If only I had the same attitude I could have slipped the reception gal at the ID office a $20 as I informed her that she might want to check her schedule again to see if I had an appointment this morning. But no, I merely made an appointment in 3 weeks, her next opening. I really wanted to punch someone and the guy with the huge smile announcing that it was his last day in the Army... well, he was looking like a great target.

2 comments:

Carrie (and Kevin!) Finnegan said...

Ahhh yes. takes me back to my days following my purse getting stolen and spending hours at the DMV trying to acquire an Indiana Driver's License. Only took three trips, an exam, and unleashing my inner bitch to make that happen!! Not sure what's worse, dealing with two state governments to get an ID card, or one national government...

Taira said...

You pay your babysitter $13/hr??? Let me know the next time you need someone, hee hee!