Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mom Dementia

I'm not talking about the kind of Mom Dementia where you start a task and then get interrupted and never finish it. That's well known, no point in rehashing that. No, I am talking about when you forget about events and activities that you have planned and even have on your calendar. Take for instance yesterday when we got home from tennis and I finally pinpointed the smell in the van (reactivated by the heat). Duh, it is of course Patrick's car seat. I figured it was a good time to finally clean it since we had no place else to go that day. So I used everything I remembered from engineering calculus (which is exactly nothing, just like when I was taking exams in there) and took it apart and put the cover in the washer. Hand washing, whatever, like that would work?!

Anyway, when there were 57 minutes to go on the cycle I realized that we did indeed have someplace to go later, the art classes that the girls go to every afternoon... starting in 97 minutes. So much for "line drying" the cover, that baby got partially dry in the dryer and then I had to reassemble that contraption and install it again. Mission accomplished at the exact time the class was starting and once again, love living in Kansas because most things are less than 7 minutes away so we were barely late. Megan claims that the smell is still there but she is probably smelling her own seat. Now that I think about it, they do sit in them with their wet swim suits a lot, that can't be good.

I have other examples of Mom Dementia but of course I can't remember them now. I need to get packing for the girls' trip to VA and then plan for the massive purge that I will do of their junk while they are gone. I am a little too excited for this and I haven't even watched Clean Sweep in years. I will miss the girls being here to tattle on Patrick though. He is at the smiling defiant stage. This morning he moved the chair over so he could reach the upper cabinets and when I walked in, he turned to me with a big smile and said innocently, "oh hi!", with my allergy medicine bottle in his hand. Oh hi, indeed. He hasn't mastered childproof bottles yet but it is only a matter of time. He also enjoys spraying the bathroom with the faucet, spreading cereal around the house, and carrying a golf club everywhere, with the occasional long drive. He has an obsession with the scissors and pays close attention to them when the girls have them out-- and watches me put them away, no doubt plotting how to retrieve them when I am feeding Emily later.

He did actually take a nap today, hence the computer time. Shocking as I left him sitting on the chair in his room (which he can now unlock) with his baby (which he does now pretend to nurse). I just checked on him and he somehow tucked himself into his bed and passed out. Yesterday I found him with the room trashed and underwear on over his diaper. Oh hi!

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Love the underwear!

Marjie said...

Too funny, I calculated that I lost 25% of my brain power with each pregnancy. Some regenerated but grands make me lost it too.

Patrick is an explorer

Jeanette C. said...

Did I ever tell you I found my real knives (the big kind that sit in the butcher block) in the kids play room one day when Ben was about 2 and 1/2? I still don't know how he got them w/o me seeing them. He also hid my glasses in the heat register. I was practically blind w/o them but luckily he took me by the hand and led me to them....and the kids wonder why I need to dye my hair!

julie said...

I had to get lasix to prevent the chaos that would ensue if I was ever rendered helpless by missing glasses. I may need to find an alternate location for the knives....

Kit said...

That is funny stuff!