Friday, October 12, 2012

Happiness Project

I just started this book called The Happiness Project and I am enjoying reading how this very logical gal is trying to maximize happiness in her life.  Just her personal experiences putting all the happiness and inspirational quotes and studies to work, interesting to see what is successful for her.  Of course I love how many of the tips I already do or started doing while Sean was gone, like making sleep a priority and organizing everything.  Anyway, now I am focusing on things I can do now that he is home, just enjoying life more after it was so crappy for so long.  So I will spare you all the quotes and crap, you can figure out what ones I've been inspired by I'm sure, and will just go right to some concrete things I have done lately.

First of all, I upgraded my plan to borrow a dress or wear an old dress that wasn't quite right to the Catholic school auction this weekend by renting a designer dress.  Yes, for a Catholic school auction in Kansas.  (Insert your own inspiration quote here).  I have always admired the Herve Ledger dresses and I found one that is only slightly inappropriate.  I also added on a back-up dress for only $25 in case I bust the zipper on the way out of the house.  I will post pictures later of course.  They arrived yesterday and I had one on when Sean stopped home for lunch after going on Megan's field trip (more on that later), just a preview for him of what life will be like when he works from home.  Anyway, now I am really looking forward to going out and I think I will just rent dresses for every occasion from now on, they have tons that are for more casual events too.  I know better than to think I can buy a dress, when I can even find one I like, and wear it many times.  The best I ever do is find someone to pass the dress on to so they can enjoy it too.  If I have inspired anyone, you can save $20 by going from this link to sign up.

http://www.renttherunway.com/referral/koenigkeenan

Of course I get $20 if you rent, so there is some more happiness.  Oh and if none of your dresses fit you do get a credit to rent again.  I was concerned about that.  I also loved that I could add on a second dress for $25.  You can usually get each dress in two sizes also to make sure something fits.

Another fun thing I've done lately is sign up for the Must Have Box from Popsugar.  Go here to check it out (and make me happy with referral rewards, then you can tell your friends and get rewards too!):

http://popsu.gr/zCv

Anyway, every month this pop culture  website puts together their favorite new items valued around $100 and you only pay about $35, depending on what subscription you get.  I loved what they've had in their boxes so far and I can't wait for my first box to arrive in a few weeks.  I rarely get any surprises so this is exciting for me.  And I figure it's a small splurge compared to filling my gas tank lately.  Oh and if you sign up use this code to save $5:  REFER5

Now for some things I have done that don't involve spending money.  I have involved Sean in this too. Since he missed the kids so much while he was gone, I jumped on that motivation and signed him up to help on some field trips.  I know it's a pain to get out of your normal routine and make the effort to go so he was grumbling a little but I know in the end he made some great memories with the kids and they were so thrilled that he went.  Now I am trying to motivate myself to do more with the kids but more often than not I can't bring the little ones along and so far this lack of extended day at preschool has interfered with everything I could do.

In general we are just making an effort to not overschedule ourselves with stuff we don't like to do and we've stopped wasting time on chores that don't really have to be done.  Lots of time just sitting outside with a Bold Rock.  Sean is easing back into the moonlighting so he isn't too overwhelmed or tired and since I'm using to not having the extra moonlighting money this is fine with me.  The fact that he's making any money at all is huge but he better not lose it all in Vegas later this month...

That's enough for now but I will end with a photo of Patrick's booby trapped room that I walked into a couple weeks ago.  He somehow tied his shade to the basketball hoop thing and his water bottle to the other string (out of frame).  He told me that was so he could easily grab his water when he wanted it in bed.

3 comments:

H said...

Great tips, thank you. Off to check out the dresses, have a ball at a swanky chateau in December!

Paul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paul said...

Great ideas. Patrick might be an engineer someday. Or maybe just paranoid. Very cute.

Mom