Sunday, October 28, 2012

Smart buy

I finally made it to Lawrence to meet up with my friend Carrie who moved there and who is missing the seven minute rule of Manhattan (which is: nothing is farther than seven minutes away in Manhattan).  Okay and now this reminds me of how Manhattan Heather is always having to clarify on facebook to her friends that she is  in the Kansas Manhattan and it makes me laugh.  With Frankenstorm coming I am beyond thrilled to be in this Manhattan.  Wow, I've gotten a bit off topic already.  Was there a topic?  Yes, going to see Carrie's new house and going shopping  in Lawrence.  I finally got the chance to go to those little antique and home shops that everyone else talks about and finds great stuff at when they go.  We did have some good luck, although there was an over abundance of stuff from my grandparents' generation which makes sense but still isn't old enough to be hip again.  Sorry.  The find of the day was a wooden box similar to one that I found locally for $300.  I got this one for $22.50 and it came with the pinecones, which I've been known to pay for in the past...


No idea what this really is, made in China? Antique?  I don't care, I just like rustic things.  Sean probably disagrees but is too happy about football to comment.  I'm sure he's thrilled I didn't pay $300 for it at least.

The other buy for the weekend was iPhones for Sean and me.  Yes, I finally got rid of my flip phone, actually traded it in so they could display it in their museum no doubt.  It was really easy to carry when I walked or ran so I do miss that.  I can barely use the new one and am hesitant to get addicted to it.  At this point I am just happy to have a calendar that will remind me of things.  It does that, right?  Now I should plan some things to do...

3 comments:

lisadst said...

welcome to the idark side! USE it ! you will love it! yes, the calendar has become my "brain". if it doesnt get put in the calendar, i dont remember it...like the dog going to the vet for his teeth cleaning...oops!

and do not EVERY pay for pine cones! my kids spent 2 hours saturday picking them up! i pay them to pick them up and i will gladly send them to you!!!!

cute box by the way!!! great find!

Marjie said...

Excellent box. If I knew everyone's birthdays I would spend a few hours putting them in my Droid and hope I would be reminded forever more.

Love my phone. I am never bored during football/baseball/racing.

Heather said...

The guy who commented "What are you doing in Manhattan?!" ALWAYS does that. I always feel so deflated when I have to say, "No, the Manhattan in KANSAS." Wah-waaaaah. But you're right - happy to be smack in the middle of the country right now.