Monday, October 15, 2012

Sunday Lessons

Woke up to a flat tire on my car yesterday.  It had been a slow leak the day before but now it was real.  I knew we had one trip left with it, right to the tire fix it repair shop, as they call it in children's literature.  Now that we know how to use the air compressor I knew we could fill it up and leave immediately.  Yes, we are real adults now, can use the compressor!  Anyway, before we did that we had to somehow all get to mass in Sean's Civic.  What kind of fool buys a second car that doesn't hold the entire family?  This one, and her husband.  I also told Sean he could get something with four wheel drive before what is sure to be a stellar winter but he is holding firm to his bonus money.  Oh wait, the bonus is late.  His LAST October bonus, bittersweet, as next October we will be preparing to transition to civilian life and thus won't take it.

Anyway, Sean shuttled us in shifts to church which is thankfully close by so Patrick didn't have long to play in the mud puddle outside while we waited for our turn.  Then I figured we'd be shelling out a bit for a new tire which reminded me of how there were many years in which that would have put us in a panic.  PS Money does buy happiness. Not worrying about how a $200 tire could mess up your tightly budgeted month is something I appreciate very much.  And then of course it turns out there was just a screw in the tire and it was $23 to patch it.  That never would have happened during med school years, oh no, I know we had to replace a full set at one point, so they would all "match".  Suckers.  Anyway, all is fine now and I can commence driving children again.

The other lesson yesterday was teaching Megan to make cupcakes from a mix.  As a rule I am not a fan of mixes but it was caramel apple, a seasonal one in cute packaging, so I picked it up.  And then I realized that Megan is in fifth grade, at some point she needs to learn how to survive on her own and yes, baking from a box is part of that.  She did great and I didn't get my hands messy and she was so proud.  Now to train her as my sous chef.  I am feeling a bit like Ina these days,  when she makes real meals for Jeffrey, the world's luckiest man.  It's easier to be Ina with a sous chef.  Chop chop, children!

Oh we also taught the middles a lesson last night and held firm to making them try the vegetables at dinner.  Yes, sweet potatoes, which they loved as babies but gag on now.  I guess Anna never did finish hers but she also didn't get dessert and went to bed early.  Patrick finally finished all of his after talk of trophies and winning and being like his idol (whom we may exaggerate stories about for greater effect).   Sean even made him open up his mouth Fear Factor style to prove he finished them.

In keeping with church lessons I did a very thorough cleaning of my closet and got rid of everything that I bought at the last minute before an event and don't like enough to wear again, along with all the stuff that makes me feel guilty when I never get around to wearing it.  The ladies at the Budget Shop behind the girls' school assure me that lots of people come in shopping so I hope some of it gets worn again because it is expensive stuff that was worn once.  And now I am going to avoid shopping at the last minute and stop the cycle.  If I plan enough I will just rent the runway some more, lots of casual options for $30.  Barely more than a screw in the tire!  Wish they did rentals back in the day...

No comments: