So I am trying to use up all fresh food we have before it goes bad and that means use up the random stuff that I've had in there for ages. I saw a pizza that I pinned to pinerest last year that involved several of my nagging ingredients so I whipped that up today. Half a jar of roasted red peppers, fontina cheese that said best by April 2012 (hey, it had never been opened and it's cheese, cheese doesn't expire, right?), balsamic glaze and then in the freezer I had Naan bread and turkey meatballs. Are you feeling sorry for the kids right about now? I won't force it on them. I can be kind. Last night I gave in and got them a treat dinner from Freddy's, cheeseburgers and fries. The receipt shows that I did not order onion rings and the whole way home I debated which was more appropriate for me: a medal or a trophy? I am addicted to them but clearly I shouldn't be. I decided instead to just sneak out after the littles were in bed and the girls were settled in with their dear friend Netflix streaming (Sean working his shift in the office) to meet a spontaneous friend (who didn't drive her minivan or wear sweatpants) at 4 Olives for something worth the calories. I did bring poor Sean home some of the signature toffee at least.
Anyway, if you need some food inspiration, here are the vacation food photos:
The night when we were in Key West we looked up best burger down there and picked The Black Fin Bistro and I went with their well reviewed specialty one involving a fried egg on top. I recall Finnegans being offered a fried egg on a pizza recently so this is quite the trend, and I approve! Sean was suspicious. He will never eat a runny egg, so missing out... on heart disease?
This was from Joe's Stone Crab which I mentioned earlier. The first night we went with the recommended menu which is family style... the stone crab legs which were good but not really something I'd order normally. Their most popular sides were fabulous though, the hashbrown style mashed potatoes and their fried green tomatoes, of which I ate the most. It's a vegetable! Oh wait, it's a fruit.
Their key lime pie was the best we've ever had and Sean discovered that he loved it. This was unfortunate as we were sharing a piece. This is why we went back again the next night... more pie.
I ordered this spinach salad at YOLO in Ft. Lauderdale before we headed to the airport our last day. I hate when I make my own salads but I love when other people make them for me. I mentioned that fact to friends lately and some laughed but others nodded solemnly in agreement, this is a real phenomena. Anyway, my mom will notice the raisins that were not listed on the menu but I choked them down because it was so good all mixed together. Pear, cranberries, red pepper, egg, bacon, rotisserie chicken, cashews and other random nuts (a departure from the menu again, frown). A great meal to end the trip on. Oh Sean got a prime rib sandwich, not as photogenic but delicious.Our true last meal of the trip was at Wolfgang Puck's in the Chicago airport on our layover. Best pizza ever, for real, and now the one I just made up from leftovers here is not seeming as good. Hoping this will all inspire me to make a menu and go grocery shop now....
OH wait, I just found a photo I'd been looking for... in my camera roll on my phone but never made it to the photo stream even though the ones that I took at the same time are there. Annoying but perhaps iCloud has a limit to how many boring food photos it will allow?
Breakfast nachos from The Grand Lux. I know, it's a chain but it was so good that I have to admit we went there. This was also located at the high end outlet mall nearby, so convenient. I had salmon piccata for lunch there the first day too, going to try and make that soon, an update on the chicken one we love. Anyway, this is perhaps the best breakfast I've ever had.

1 comment:
What a time to read this blog, my appetite is just coming back, nothing good to eat here. Great pics too
Post a Comment