Since I knew I'd be home all day I figured it was a good day to try smoking a pork butt on the Big Green Egg. I'd done so well keeping the temperature steady doing the turkey last week that I figured it would be no problem. Mistake #1 is getting over confident. The fire went out at least once, maybe twice. Sean got the leaf blower out to get it going again one time and blew a big ash cloud out the top... and all over the butt. No worries, he then blew the ash off that, just a little flavoring there. He wouldn't let me contact my Big Green Egg hotline, Timer, so we muddled through. After seven hours on the grill the meat was still only 70 degrees. I was a bit concerned, thought perhaps the fire going out a couple times slowed it down. Or maybe I had the thermometer on Celsius? Bingo. Dinner was ready. Timer would have been so proud of my smoke ring on that baby but I was too hungry to take a photo.
I did manage to take down Christmas today except the bare trees are still up because they need to go outside and around to the big door to the basement. We'll wait for the snow to melt, maybe by April? Of course I will keep finding bits and pieces of Christmas for months anyway, it tends to creep around to all corners of the house. Emily is confused by all this change. Does this mean no more presents? I'm ready to box up all the old toys and hide them well. Maybe those will seem like new toys by Easter then...
2 comments:
The pork was delicious. Julie has the house cleaned to within an inch of perfect. I even want to play with the newly organized toys, and with Patrick's remote control helicopter! The kids have been fun!
From the title of your post I thought you'd finally lost your mind and took up Insanity. How delightful to see that it was food related!
Good for you for getting the house back...part of me wants to do it today, the much larger part wants to wait until the kids are back in school next week.
Congrats on the butt!
Post a Comment