Thursday, January 31, 2013

Want to be paranoid?

Go read this article:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-youre-accidentally-making-everyone-hate-you/

I found it linked on CNN and then I wasted a lot of time reading other articles on there too. But this one will make most people cringe.  I maybe only do like 80% of these things. It does explain why I rarely post on facebook though, just so many ways to offend people unintentionally. You can't say something to ALL your friends without pushing someone's sensitive button. Something about your kids? Salt in the wounds of your infertile friends. Politics or religion? Only a fool goes there. A shout out to a friend for something nice she did? Whoa, that sets off a whole host of reactions from her other friends being possessive.

UGH, possessive friends, I am so tired of that. Not sure if this is a small town thing or what, but this didn't happen when we lived in big cities. As a big believer in the saying, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions", I actually try to follow through with those good intentions by offering to help others. Also, many people have helped me, but I don't like that phrase "pay it forward", (because it was so overdone a few years ago, like "whatzzzz up?", shudder) even though that's what I'm doing. The reactions I've gotten from the "BFFs" of people I'm helping would be shocking and hilarious  if it wasn't so hurtful. I understand being possessive of your husband, but people can easily handle more than one friend.  Mostly people are suspicious of ulterior motives, they can't believe someone would be nice and helpful just because that's what you've been told to do every time you go to church.  Of course even if you don't go to church most people have heard of the golden rule, they can even talk about that in public schools, that's not religious at all. That's just good for society. And karma! Surely everyone has been exposed to one of those lines of thought. That's what I'm doing. Period.

Enough of that, back to my schedule.  Trying hard to be productive now that I've got more time to myself and then more time to spend with just Emily.  When the kids are all in school I manage to keep busy out of the house and then when Emily is home I try to catch up on stuff around the house.  This translates to less computer time which is for the best, unless you're my Mom and waiting for blog updates.  I do find time to keep up with my sisters as we count down to the Arrested Development new season starting!  We're passing quotes back and forth (Katie you MUST start watching so you can participate and fully enjoy Gangi and Pop-Pop).  Today's quote is very appropriate considering how much I've neglected around here lately:

Michael: [seeing everyone lying around on couches] Okay, is there a carbon monoxide leak in this house?

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Katie does need to catch up. They're all on Amazon Prime.

Katie said...

I did watch a few last year then got off track. Nothing on now so I can start again.