Monday, May 5, 2008

Caramel Bars

This is my most requested recipe and I received it from my senior year roommate, Meghan, whose dear Grandma Rosemary used to send us tins full of it. Sadly, Grandma Rosemary passed away recently, but I have assured Meghan that her recipe lives on and enriches my life (and thighs) more than it should! Enjoy!

Caramel Bars
1 stick plus 5 T melted butter
1 and 1/4 C flour
1 and 1/4 C oatmeal
1 C brown sugar
1 and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix and pat 2/3 of mixture into 9x13 pan and bake 10 minutes at 350. Melt 40 caramels (I use a 14 oz bag of Brach's milk maid caramels usually) with 3T of butter and 3T milk in the microwave, stirring occasionally until smooth. Drizzle over baked crust. Mix 1 C chocolate chips with remainder of oatmeal mixture then sprinkle on top of caramel layer. Bake 15 minutes at 350. I also like to add pecans with the chocolate chips.

If someone hesitates to try these for fear of ruining a diet, assure them that they have oatmeal and are practically health food.

6 comments:

VAMOM said...

Oh yes the famous caramel bars! We first tasted them when we were all in Indy for Sean's graduation from med school. As we were headed to the car Bridget said.."Oh, I wanted another one of those caramel bars but didn't know if I should ask for one or not." I told her "You go right back and ask Julie for another one. There is no higher praise for a hostess!"
So that is the memory I have every time I make them!

Unknown said...

Oatmeal is great to boost the milk supply too, for all yall lactating moms.

julie said...

Was I that scary of a sister-in-law that Bridget didn't want to ask for seconds?! I'd never heard that story before.

Patrick is mad that I had coleslaw today so perhaps I should go have another caramel bar to make up for it, thanks for the tip, Keely!

Ruby said...

These sound delish! I plan on making them soon... or tonight, whichever comes first. :)

(Found you from Kit's Kids.)

Ruby said...

I finally made the bars and they will not be hanging around long. Oh-so-good!

I would like to link to you from my blog, which is public. May I?

julie said...

Feel free to link me to your blogs as long as the title isn't, "crazy lady in Kansas". I prefer "hepcat from Kansas". That's right, we've opened up Vintage Slang flashcards y'all and we're going to have funsies!