Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

Kind of hard to follow up after tornado coverage, but today is a big day in the golfing community that can't be ignored. Teeing off first is my Dad who taught me that if you work extra hard in the beginning then you can retire early and enjoy it. I worked for his lawn care business for what seems like an endless number of summers and I had flashbacks to that yesterday when I did a couple hours of token work down at the disaster site. I remembered that the first time you rake each year you are really sore for days, so I opted to pick up the piles of debris instead.

Next up is Sean's Dad who is like my Dad in many ways, except he is exactly one year younger. They both are very outgoing and never fail to get interesting stories from strangers they meet far and wide. Also, a love of beer is shared by these two. Getting hit with two father's day gifts and then 3 weeks later finding birthday gifts for these two has been a challenge. They are getting better at dropping hints now that they know we are off the residency budget, and I do appreciate the guidance!

The most recent addition to the tour is Sean of course. Just to illustrate one way the kids take after him is that last night I caught Anna playing her Leapster video game thing in her bed with the sound off at 10:30pm. She is usually asleep by 8:30pm so this was a bit of a shock. She also loves bacon and tortilla chips, so she is definitely a Daddy's girl. Sean spends hours upon hours reading Harry Potter to the girls too, so they are all obsessed with that. Sean draws the line at playing Harry Potter with them though as that tends to evolve into Cinderella and Harry getting married. He does use the competition between Slithern and Gryffindor (don't know how to spell those, sorry) to motivate the girls to do things and earn points. Sean has also taken Megan out golfing with him already, letting her putt on the green, so he is passing on his frustration with the game to her. I hear they both enjoy the beverage cart though.

Sean is headed out to pick up his Father's Day gift at the golf shop (the list of clubs you need is apparently endless, much like camera equipment!) and then we hope to hit the country club this afternoon for some pool and dinner. We'll see how the weather turns out. I find that every dark cloud makes me a little nervous these days. Hope everyone has a great Father's Day and takes time to appreciate that the only things that matter are the people you cram in the safe room with you (sorry, no room for golf clubs).

1 comment:

Marjie said...

Very nice Father's Day blog. I am glad to have Sean as father to three of my grandkids. He is a super dad.