Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Leftovers: it's what's for breakfast

My mom had the brilliant suggestion to freeze small amounts of my spinach gratin individually so I could thaw them for spinach omelettes. A good way to use up the massive amounts of leftovers when Kitra and Joe aren't over to help eat it. Sean of course won't touch it and he will be thrilled to miss the smell of it this morning. Mmm, nothing like spinach, onions and eggs in the morning. Emily helped herself to a bag of pita chips this morning and I asked her if she wanted breakfast. She knew better than to accept my offer and just pointed to her bag of chips instead. Oh and no meal is complete around here without Patrick using the bathroom, announcing to me just how it went and then having to go help him. I think I have a new diet idea that I will pitch after New Years.

Other random kid stories for Sean bored at work: I got Emily up this morning in her kitty pajamas and I called her my little kitty and she started meowing. So she does know some words. She also just asked for "Word World". Really, can't tell me what is wrong when she is yelling in the car for 20 minutes straight, but can say the name of her favorite TV show? PBS is telling me this morning how much they spend purchasing children's shows each year, must be tied in with fundraising, and I would be happy to support them if they would just once show me the Sesame Street with Jude Law guesting on it.

Patrick has started abbreviating "you stupid idiot" with "you stu", thinking that he can insult me without getting in trouble. I'm not that stupid. He threw his light saber in the trash yesterday when he was mad at me, did it right in front of me. After he walked away I pulled it out and hid it of course, knowing what fit would result later. So this morning sure enough he is looking in the trash for it and I told him it already went out to the garbage truck and he was melting down. I asked him why he threw it away and he said it was because I was being mean. Wow, I guess it's a wonder that we have any toys left in this house. I guess his rationale is that I threaten to throw his things away when HE is bad. Apparently he thinks I will be upset if I don't have his toys to play with too? I should start punishing him with extra chores to do and then maybe he will clean up this place whenever he's mad at me. It would be spotless around here, trust me.

I am hoping the place is a little less chaotic and cluttered as soon as my faux vintage lockers arrive for the library. In theory each child will have their own and we can close them up and thus not have to trip over all the kid crap... bags, coats, boots, shoes, gloves, hats, rocks, papers, Harry Potter wands, light sabers, etc. If this works it will be money well spent. I tried to arrange a trip to KC to find real vintage lockers but it just wasn't happening and I figured it was way easier to order the faux ones from Pottery Barn. This is why real interior designers hate Pottery Barn... makes it so easy and cheap for everyone to get good design. Nothing like a free magazine of great ideas and styled rooms where you can purchase everything with a few clicks on the computer. Quality is questionable at times but we can't all live in Belgium and have great access to the real stuff at great prices. Oh but if I can bribe Heather to move here next I could take a trip over right before they pack up and then pay for their extra freight charges... HINT HINT. Okay, that should be enough to make Sean sweat for now...

2 comments:

Marjie said...

so how did the spinach omlette work out?

VAMOM said...

Patrick stories have us laughing out loud no matter how many times we mention them!