Saturday, August 17, 2013

The last week of summer

Lots of Sean working lately, kids have lost all track of what day it is. Seems like we went to post a lot and have more trips there next week. I got my new army ID which meant I had to turn in my last one, which was taken a few weeks before Patrick was born, so I had fat pregnant face. Coincidentally I look much, much older in my new ID which I'm sure Patrick has everything to do with. It feels like we have had him 12 years so it's only fitting that I have aged 12 years since he was born. I hear a lot of other people marvel at how fast their children grow up. I see Patrick walking around here and am actually shocked that he's still so short. How is he not even 6 yet?!

He is counting down to his birthday of course, big plans for #6. He is coming to terms with starting school before his birthday, earlier in the week he was furious about that fact. Now he has played on the playground a few times when I've been at school for meetings so he is thinking school might be fun. Yeah, probably not Legos all day long though... When he had to read the eye chart for his school physical I wasn't sure if he would be able to say the letters... not because he couldn't read them but because he couldn't remember them. It has been a summer of leisure. I think we are finally ready for school to start though and while this will be the first time I have a child starting kindergarten while I'm not hugely pregnant, I think I will be fine with him growing up a bit. And I will see him at 2:42 which comes fast I know.

On a somewhat related note, in a couple of my magazines this month they are featuring India Hicks, a designer from a designer family (her Godfather is also Prince Charles). She has a house in the Bahamas and these articles gloss over it but they only show her 5 year old daughter in the photos... not her 4 older boys. And where might they be? Boarding school of course! Yes, that's how it works, in that family they ship their children off to boarding school at a young age because they don't have schools like they need in the Bahamas. Doubt homeschooling was ever considered, not that I blame her and I don't even run a design empire. Just puts sending your child off to kindergarten into perspective.

 I felt bad for not doing more fun stuff during our bonus days of summer so we ended up at Varsity Donuts late one morning. Patrick likes to take toys everywhere with him and he left that car thing in the bathroom there. Luckily we remembered before it was too late because you know I never would have heard the end of that.
 Girls weren't allowed to sit near Patrick. They are all ready for some time apart I think...
 Had a great night at the pool, complete with games and ice cream prizes.
 Megan mad that she didn't know the ice cream taco existed until now.
 Emily got herself a face staining popsicle.

As did Patrick...

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Did Megan get her contacts? The Choco Taco is a delight!

julie said...

Oh yes, I forgot to post that! Megan did get her contacts and has gotten much faster at putting them in and taking them out. Now she is eager for braces to come off but that may be a while.

heather said...

I am on day six of this 8 Day Challenge. I am so flippin' hungry that I could lick screen in those pictures.

Jeanette C. said...

It also seems like Ben, who just turned 13, should be about 85 by now. We love him but calm and peaceful are never words used when Ben is around. He broke his wrist last week so is missing his entire 7th grade baseball season and seems to be taking his frustrations out on all of us by being even more "Ben-like". Good luck with Patrick!

Carrie (and Kevin!) Finnegan said...

It's been too cold here to go to the pool. WTH? We went once the week before school started and I caught a head cold and spent the weekend in bed. Went again the night before school started and froze our butts off again.