Ugh, Target already has round 2 of Christmas supplies out and it's only a matter of time before they start infiltrating the muzak playlist with 50 different versions of Silver Bells. So no, it is not too early for me to be stressing about gifts for Sean's office staff. The past two years I have slaved away for a week making shortbread, fudge and candied pecans for all 26 of them. The first year Misty added her baked goods to mine so it wasn't as taxing, but last year I had to step it up on my own so it didn't look so pathetic.
I thought it would be worth it if it would garner some goodwill towards Sean but he said it only lasted a few hours before one of the techs made a comment to another one about how he was being mean. I would see their point (they are insulted when he reminds them to turn in the paperwork after a procedure) except that it is not unusual for the lab to call and say they got some unlabeled items turned in. Brilliant. Who do you think gets in trouble for that? Everything trickles UP in Army hospital where doctors are just seen as a drain on the budget, not the driving force for income. But I digress, my point is that I'm not feeling like giving up a week of my time for this anymore if it's only making people like ME, not Sean. So, anyone have suggestions for a gift Sean can give them? Many of them do work hard and we feel it's appropriate to show them some appreciation (might I add that other departments don't do this), so what is appropriate here? I am thinking Target gift cards. Other suggestions??
8 comments:
Just reward those who work hard. Just kidding-that would surely backfire. This probably won't work for his staff but any day I don't have to pack my lunch is a good day. Could you provide a lunch or dinner?
How about "A donation has been made in your name to the Human Fund" certificates.
$5 Starbucks card so they can start the day with a smile. Make it $10 and it might not seem so cheap. Does the hospital cafe sell gift cards... baahhaa!
Don't think that it hasn't crossed my mind to give varying amounts of gift cards... I know some of the soldiers in the department could really use some money whereas some of the lazy GS employees who embarrass the department really don't deserve anything... Catering a lunch is a great idea though. What is Human Fund? I would love to donate to charity for everyone this year but that's not usually a big hit. More than happy to put your name on a goat for a poor family in Africa if anyone wants...
Starbucks is kind of far for a lot of the people at the hospital since they don't live in Manhattan, so that complicates everything. For $10 Sean could buy everyone FOUR gourmet burgers from the hospital cafeteria, oh boy!
A catered lunch sounds great, soup and sandwiches and lots of cookies.
Hot chocolate/hc mixes? Pop
I like your Target card idea. With any type of food catering/goodies/restaurant gift card, your mileage may vary depending on what people like.
With a gift card to a place like Target, you are going to hit the bullseye(pun very intended) with everyone. Everyone can use something from Target.
-Ryan
Gifts for 26 people? Well, I have a friend who gives homemade pepper jelly, a box of good crackers and a square of cream cheese in a gift bag. I know she does that for a lot of people ..with a personal card in each. I did see that Dean and Deluca is opening a new store in Kansas City but not till January. Nice to get some things there and save on shipping. But throwing a little party for everyone at lunch is a nice idea!
D&D is bringing another one to KC?? Maybe in 15 years one will make it to Manhattan... I will be hitting the current one there on Saturday but these office people don't seem like the fancy type.
Post a Comment