Ran across the Wikipedia entry for Manhattan today and thought I'd share some highlights with you. Yes, you can't make up stuff this good.
1. It was actually named Boston until some people from Ohio in a steamboat joined the settlement under the condition that it be renamed Manhattan. I think I'm okay with not living in "The Little Beantown".
2. I still don't understand why being home to the "longest continuously-operating Pizza Hut in the world" is a positive thing. When I think of an old chain restaurant, I think of old grease and dirt. I'm sure it's fine but it's still not on my list of places to go for date night...
3. Notable residents: Bill Murray's brother (do we really believe he is an actor in his own right? It says right in his bio that he appears in most films that stars his brother); Tiger Wood's dad (I bet the K-state alums knew this one), and Elvira (only born here, phew).
4. Census data shows 0.07% of the population is Pacific Islander. I think I've seen that guy.
5. The trailer for Friday Night Lights shows downtown Manhattan. When I first read that fact I thought they shot some scenes from the TV show here which meant Tim Riggins was in town and I missed it?! But no, it was for the movie.
Well, that is enough trivia for tonight. Quiz tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment