A friend recently posted that her husband thinks she does nothing all day but play on the computer and I thought she could use a few tips to remedy that. And if you're someone who actually reads my blog, then you probably spend too much time on the computer too!
1. Do chores that are noticeable.
Make your own bed and then shut the doors so the kids don't mess it up. Don't clean the kids' rooms, they will trash them before husband comes home, negating the 4 minutes you spent making their beds and throwing books in the closet. Use those 4 minutes to start the laundry. Notice I said "start" the laundry. Takes no time at all to throw a basketful in the washer, then the dryer, then the next basket (there is always another basket or 4). Pile it all on your bed to be folded later when it can be witnessed. Laundry is much more impressive when it is piled 4 feet high. If you fold it all and put it away before he comes home he will assume the laundry fairy visited once again. Same goes for vacuuming, he won't notice unless you do it while he is home.
2. Bake something.
Now I enjoy eating, I mean baking from scratch, but don't feel the pressure to do more than throw some premade cookie dough in the oven. He will think you did a lot of work. If you are worried about eating all the baked goods yourself, get the cookie dough from whatever neighborhood child is peddling it this year, it won't tempt you. I personally don't think it's worth the calories because I can bake something much better myself, but for your husband who actually considers buying the Little Debbie snack cakes at the shopette, those are some mighty fine cookies.
3. Hire a lawn boy.
At least one day a week you will then be able to make the joke that you cut the grass that day. If he isn't paying attention as you run down your list of accomplishments for the day you may actually get credit for an extra item. If he does pay attention then it is also a little reminder that mowing the lawn is one less chore for him to do.
One of the keys to marriage is making sure you appreciate each other and hopefully these tips will help. Truly, if the house is still standing and the kids are alive, you had a successful day. If you did all that while spending time on the computer to preserve your sanity, then it's a double success. There are worse ways to spend your time, things that involve spending a lot of money...(shopping, gambling, collecting hummels). Speaking of money, be sure to appreciate what the hubby does all day to pay for the beloved computer, in fact asking lots of questions about his day will distract him from how little it appears you did during the day!
8 comments:
Spray some bleach cleaner into the kitchen sink, "Smells like someone has been working"!
Some people set a pretty dinner table early in the day, very impressive.
Very impressive list indeed. I'll have to think if I have any to add.
Hi Julie,
I'm a friend of Rebecca's and she told me about your blog since I grew up in Kansas...not far from Manhattan.
My husband is military too, so we aren't around there now, but your blog cracks me up. I especially liked this particular blog! Ha!
Angie D.
So, are these things that you just came up with, or do you practice this type of housework. I was very excited to see that other people operate the way I do, but if you were just making this up then I feel like a crappy homemaker again. Thanks for giving me a complex. I am going to make my own list called "Housework that will fool your ex-husband and current wife into thinking that you are better than them"
I love finding out that people other than my mom and sisters read this! I do actually practice housework this way and now Sean knows all my secrets. He is the most appreciative husband though. He is convinced that without me he would live in a studio apartment with a sleeping bag, toaster, and a Buffalo Bills poster. Oh and Lesley, I can give you lots of ideas of how to show ex and the 2nd wife that you are better!
Will you add me to your list of people who read your blog :)
My housework method is very similar to the way I handled my chores growing up. I do a few things here and there during the day and then mobilize and do ten things in the 45 minutes before everyone gets home. Sometimes this includes combing my hair and putting on makeup. It worked when I was a kid expecting my mom home from work and it works now!
You keep writing and I'm going to continue to cut and paste and sending to newspapers until one of them begins to publish your blog. Thanks for letting me in on some inside secrets...I suspected as much during the last 35+ years.
FIL
Post a Comment