Monday, October 27, 2008

Update to Bread Recipe

I know a bunch of people use my bread recipe so I thought I would share how I am making it more healthy these days. I debated grinding up Flintstone vitamins and adding that to the dough since it's pretty much all the kids eat but then discovered whole ground flaxseed meal. I just add a tablespoon or two to all the other ingredients and it comes out great. It has a slightly nutty whole grain taste to it but the kids still snork it down. Sean prefers the regular recipe but he is not the main consumer so he is overruled most times. You can find the flaxseed at any store I bet since our Dillons carries it. If Dillons has it in Kansas then I bet gas stations carry it in Virginia...

2 comments:

H said...

Great tip. I sneak this into the kids' cereal and oatmeal all the time, they don't even notice. I'll check our 76 station when I run out considering that's our local grocer.

Marjie said...

You can grind the seeds in a coffee grinder. I have been using flour from local mills and have been sifting it. Makes a big difference in the bread, it isn't so heavy.