Saturday, November 22, 2008

Dangerous Library

I had just returned some books at the library today and was pushing the stroller out into the atrium when two large heavy books fell on my head. I turned around to see what was going on and this young librarian just rolled her eyes and said, "oh, they're throwing books". What?? I was confused, like this is a common event and I should know about it? I couldn't see anyone up above me and still didn't know what was going on (first sign of brain damage??). I went to check on the girls in the children's area and then asked another librarian what was going on, I mean, shouldn't anyone be concerned? Well, then it occurred to me that these books just barely missed hitting Patrick whose head is not nearly as hard as mine so I decided to go investigate a little more, i.e. find the kids and have "words" with them. I asked the upstairs librarians what was going on and if they saw some kids throwing books. This was an older lady and she was immediately upset and had no idea that anyone was hit down below, I think she just heard the books fall and then the kids ran out. Sounds like these are frequent visitors but this is the first time this has happened so she was happy to file an incident report. Just like the hospital, if no one complains then they have no justification for reprimanding someone.

Anyway, I get home and find out that my head did actually bleed a bit and it hurts but Sean doesn't think a CT is necessary. The police called (so that's what "private caller" is on caller ID) and I told them I don't think we need to file a battery charge but it could have been a very serious injury if it had hit my baby. Doubtful that they will ever find the kids anyway or prove who did it at least. The head librarian also called to check on me and was the nicest guy. Of course librarians are nice, but he was very concerned and wanted me to know how serious they think this is and their plan of action. We can't have hooligans overrunning the library-- this is the refuge for us nerds, leave us in peace!

Of course this all reminds me of the time Sean and I were at Circle Centre mall in downtown Indy when Sean was spit on by a kid a few levels up. If you want to see Sean get all angry and riled up, just mention this incident to him. If we ever find out that our kids are involved in this sort of behavior we will not write it off as kids being kids. As my mom always says, some parents make excuses for their kids all the way to jail. Our kids will be in their own personal jail here with their various latest technology toys taken away...

8 comments:

Ryan said...

I'm glad you're okay and that they didn't hit Patrick. I hate stupid people. The part that makes me the most mad is if they were caught they still wouldn't take responsibility.
Andrea

julie said...

Oh, if I had caught them they would have been taking some responsibility or I would have been pressing charges. If they have time to spend doing this stuff, they have time to be doing community service.

Tina said...

I'm glad you are OK and nothing happened to Patrick. I'll keep one eye looking up next time we go to the library -- how sad!

Marjie said...

They need security cameras in there, and they need to be held responsible. Isn't it nice the library didn't blow you off?

julie said...

Yeah, I feel that if this had happened in a bigger city no one would have called to check on me, to say the least. And compared to say, the kids in San Antonio who dumped a pail of porta-john slug on a barge of tourists at the Riverwalk, this really is just kid stuff... Sounds like this group of kids has just been annoying people there for a while, probably already got kicked out of the mall. And as for the excuse that there is nothing for teenagers to do here, only boring people are bored.

Katie said...

we had some stupid kids throwing their balls at us from a level up above us at a football game - after spitting on us. Do you think I gave it back - nope! And the father was dumb enough to ask. That takes balls! I mean hello you let your kid spit on us and then think we are giving back their footballs. Idiots.

Jo Ann S said...

I am so glad you are okay and it didn't hit Patrick. Very scary! Absolutely no excuse for bigger kids doing something like that. But it can't help but bring to mind the time Anna (about 1 year old) threw her little board book off of the balcony at church in Peoria before I could stop her and it hit an older person down below. I was mortified and learned my lesson about sitting in the first row of the balcony with naughty baby Anna!

Carrie (and Kevin!) Finnegan said...

That is so messed up. I'm sorry you got hurt - but I'm glad that it was your hard head and not Patrick's fluffy chick head. Oh - I would have been LIVID. You should write a letter to the newspaper warning your fellow Manhattanites about the dangers of the public library. If this has happened before they should have a security camera at least...