Saturday, November 22, 2008

High Maintenance

The girls have always been a bit dependent on my homemade bread as it is the main staple of their diet and anytime Anna has to declare a favorite food she says, "bread and butter". So I end up making a loaf at least every other day, although it feels like every day. Well, Anna has now decided that she only likes it when it is fresh, as in hot enough to melt the butter. No, I cannot convince her that toast is an option. Megan on the other hand is in the midst of demanding multiple pieces of cinnamon toast and all I'm thinking is that's another loaf gone... Megan is also the one who noticed that I changed bread flour. I saw King Arthur flour in the store one day and wondered if it could possibly be worth the increase in price (about $2 more). The first time I used it not only did Megan notice, but she remembered to mention it when she came home from school that day after eating it at lunch. It really is better and I suppose it is worth the extra $2. Better pick up an extra shift, Sean.

And since I already know that all they would end up eating if I made a huge Thanksgiving dinner like I usually do is the rolls, I made reservations for us at the club this year. No one else was without family this year so I didn't have the motivation of other people to feed who would actually eat. It is cheaper to do this also. I will just make a turkey later so we can have sandwiches. Which means more bread...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Girls with expensive taste, look out for the future weddings.

Marjie said...

Isn't warm bread and butter everyone's favorite food? Megan is old enough to measure and make bread, almost.

Carrie (and Kevin!) Finnegan said...

Wow - my bread maker is gathering dust. I am now the sole consumer of carbohydrates in the household. Kevins practically off carbs altogether, Garrett eats them sporadically and Parkers treats them like clay or play-doh - to be smushed and thrown.