Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Not just saving gas

I'm saving my sanity by not driving to Megan to school each day. She slept in a bit today and Sean had the day off so I decided to drive her for once, didn't think it would be a big deal. Huge mistake. It was rainy and cold so the drop off line was probably longer than usual, so we wasted a good 5 minutes there. The highlight though was watching some woman park in the 2nd lane which violates the rules, not to mention common sense. And why did she park there? So she could walk her child to the door, holding an umbrella over his head. She might regret that someday when he is still living in the basement at age 36.... Riding the bus has made Megan so much more confident and independent. And some of that gas money went to buy me a nice new pair of fancy slippers for the lazy winter ahead. Win-win.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Drop off and pick up is a MESS there...I hate it!! They need to figure something different out or bus ALL students! Grrrr...

Anonymous said...

My daughter would move in with you just to ride the bus with Megan! She wants to ride so bad, and I wish that we could. That drop off/pick up at the school is a nightmare, and I would save at least a half hour of stress if the bus would swing by here. What is the problem, it's only 3 blocks from the school, and not really out of their way?

julie said...

I used to spend at least an hour a day doing drop off and pick up, usually half that filled with baby yelling. Then on preschool days it was 1.5 hours, an hour alone each afternoon. I felt so bad for Patrick, the 3rd is just dragged everywhere... Now Megan spends a half hour going there and a half hour coming home but she has a few friends and she takes a book and seems to enjoy it. I figure she isn't learning anything from kids on the bus that she doesn't learn on the playground...