Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Old People Food

Sean and I like to joke about the "Old People Food" that they serve at the club, which obviously appeals to their main dining demographic but not so much to us. One example is that they have no less than 7 different kinds of cream pies on their dessert menu (out of 10 items- I kid you not). We just marvel at this and wonder who is so obsessed with cream pies. When they have a buffet the pies are just melting on the plates, not appealing at all. I mentioned this theory to a friend (and very loyal blog reader) who stopped by tonight and she agreed... pie is OPF.

Anyway, this has led to a disturbing turn of events this week. The new grocery store that opened near us carries some local bakery pies that looked so good I decided to get one "for the kids". They were having a playdate yesterday so I got some chocolate cream pie and figured they would love it. Well, it is beyond addictive. Megan asked for seconds and I told her no because she would get sick from too much sugar. Meanwhile, I was eating it out of the pie pan, a little more than just one piece... I think these old people are on to something.

It gets worse. I take Anna to the store with me again today since she is the squeaky wheel needing attention and I notice their regular pies. As a rule, I don't like regular pie either, the crust is usually tasteless and greasy, ick. Oh but they had strawberry rhubarb and like anyone over 65, I love rhubarb so I picked one out. I did at least realize no one else would like it so I got half a pie and planned on just eating the filling. Oh. My. Pie Crust. Are you getting sick just thinking of how much pie I am eating?? It is so good and I am spending a lot of hours in this house with a LOT of kids. It is my only friend (well, except for you, dear laptop). Sean was working tonight so no yoga torture either. Instead I will punish myself by putting on a bathing suit to sit in the hot tub. Maybe the jets will pound the fat away?

(Full disclosure: my parents always used to say OPS for Old People S#*&, so clearly I am ripping them off. I have been banned from ever using this phrase to reference them or their behavior. I am pretty sure they act like they're 23 on their extended party in Texas each year, so not exactly acting like old people.... motorhome withstanding. Katie, Andrea and Stephanie: you can feel free to use OPS examples in the comments though, only I have been banned.)

6 comments:

Marjie said...

I can't believe this, you never ate pie or crust. Maybe you never had good pie crust before ... and that is possible since I make awful pie crust. Was afraid of what would happen if I got good at it. You are a late started with pie. Remember chocolate angel pie with merenge crust? yum

Katie said...

I know how to make a very good pie crust... it's pretty easy, but makes enough for 3-4 pies. Clearly not something I am willing make much.
OPS tip - get a skirt for your one piece swimsuit to hide those non-exsistent thighs.

H said...

Mmmmmm....pie...

Not a big cream pie fan here, but can't pass up a berry pie and RHUBARB? Divine!

I like the thought of the hot tub pounding away the fat. Let me know if it works, I'll come visit for extended periods of time.

Marjie said...

Julie your mother is lying all this partying. We play bingo 4 nights a week need the rest on the other 3 days. Don't forget the blue hair buffets starting at 3 o'clock because we hate to miss those cream pies before they melt. There that the real secret. I got to go nap. Dad

Marjie said...

He lies. By Monday night I am sometimes too tired to go to Dee's house to play games. The weekends are sooo busy. I did go in my pj's once to play.

Stephanie said...

Is it ops when you order one meal at a restaurant because with a salad it's enough and you don't have to take leftovers...always makes me laugh a little but I guess it makes sense.
They definitely act younger than me!