Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Toddler Routines

Toddlers are supposed to be a little OCD when it comes to their little routines, so I try to laugh at them, instead of worry. Anyway, Patrick has a number of things that he has to do every day and some of them are helpful, like shutting doors and closing drawers and taking out the diaper garbage. But then there is how he has to mess up my bed every time I make it or empty the pantry whenever I get on the computer (and then ask me every time what each item is- UGH, it's still tomato paste, okay??). There is a lot of yelling if I interfere or try to deviate from the routine so I usually just give in. Fine, fine, take the garbage out and then play in the cold dirty garage in just your diaper. I mean, how hard can a 2 year old throw a golf ball anyway? Could he break a car window? I'll let you know. Some things will come back to haunt him later, like how he has to get out my red high heels and wear them whenever he sees my closet open. Of course there are photos.




I do keep hoping his routines will inspire other family members. Like, if someone has to STEP OVER a garbage bag to get to their car, maybe it will trigger their routine to THROW IT IN THE TRASH CAN. Just saying. When I am trying to quickly get trash out of the kitchen before the children see their junk in it, I don't have time to get it all the way to the trash can without Patrick dashing to garage party time. Plus, it is cold out there and I am usually in my pajamas (or daytime pajamas) and they aren't very warm.

No comments: