Wednesday, March 31, 2010

"Your Dedication. Our Admiration."

I found an ad in the local paper today from TriWest, thanking TRICARE providers. "Everyday, especially on Doctor's Day, we thank you for your dedication." At first I thought this was aimed at the military doctors, but no, I think it's the civilian doctors who accept the crappy, crappy reimbursement rates from the military health insurance. I agree, it is very nice of them to do because frankly, as little as they are getting paid for their services, they would no doubt rather be out golfing instead. Anyway, in the ad they show a doctor pinning up a thank you note from a patient on his bulletin board. Do you know what Sean has on his bulletin board at work? Invitations to Doctor's Day activities (lunches, parties, etc) at the hospitals he moonlights for (that clearly he can't go to but nice to know they appreciate their doctors there).

Do you know what they do at army hospital for Doctor's Day? Nothing, not even a sign in the lobby. One year some higher up even admitted that they forgot all about it. Really, how shocking. They do at least appreciate the nurses (they do a ton for nurses day or is it a week?), so they aren't totally heartless there. Yep, Doctor's Day is just another day to stop Sean in the cafeteria to "remind" him that he can't have his hand in his pocket while in uniform (HOW IS HE SUPPOSED TO GET HIS WALLET OUT?!).

Oh army, between the usual crap that goes on and the all night bombing fest keeping my kids up this week, you are on my S list. Still waiting on more info today to add to this rant. Not looking good.

4 comments:

julie said...

p.s I have heard that other army hospitals are much more respectful of their docs. Not sure why this place is different...

Marjie said...

starts at the top

Carrie (and Kevin!) Finnegan said...

One of the hospitals here gave out fleece jackets and I used to wear Kevin's out and about but finally stopped because, 1) I would accidentally put on someone else's at the Y and not realize it until I started looking for my keys: and 2)Old people started stopping me in the grocery store to tell me about their health problems.

On the bright side, Outback was giving out free blooming onions to military folks last month. What better way to thank folks for their service to God and country than a greasy onion to upset your tummy. We couldn't get one of those. Just sayin'...

julie said...

Oh, I am loving how people stopped you to chat about their health problems! Is Outback trying to appreciate the military or give them heart disease? Some perks that Sean didn't get to cash in (unless he was willing to do a driving tour of OK and TX rural hospitals): free car wash, free shoe shine, steak and lobster lunch (okay that makes me sick just thinking of that for lunch), chair massage, gourmet dessert bar (now that's more my style!). Still no word on Sean's trip to Kuwait...