Saturday, October 16, 2010

Spinning Wheels

I have had the least productive week possible, to contrast with how much Sean has accomplished. And this pretty much sums up why I stay home with the kids while he works two jobs. I couldn't possibly have a real job too, how do families manage that? I can't imagine the sheer energy involved (and maybe some cocaine?). Sean took this week off the "job he can't quit" to work extra moonlighting shifts, which after meeting with the Media Guru on Tuesday morning became apparent where all the extra money was headed. Happy birthday, Sean!

It is in fact his birthday today and he celebrated by working the first 7 hours of it and now he is somehow sleeping through Saturday morning TV binge. Anna is being extra sweet and accommodating in selection of shows so as not to remind me that last night she was actually hitting Megan over some TV disagreement and as it escalated I, like Claire on Modern Family, kept upping the punishment, which of course is no more TV. I think I got up to at least a whole weekend of no TV. But now I am desperate to keep them quiet. I know better than to try and accomplish anything else at the same time, like packing.

Ah, spinning wheels, I mean, packing. I am at the stage where I think I am so organized and there won't be much to pack that last week. HA. HA. HA. Last night I was talking with 3 friends who did a move like this and they remember this stage well, delusion. I also learned that the final stage will be throwing random stuff in the vehicle with lots of angry swearing at the end because you just can't believe how much crap there is. I thought this would be a great week for me to "get serious" but I underestimated how much Sean would need to sleep and how impossible it is to do anything with Patrick helping. A rare week of great weather too, so much guilt involved in keeping the children inside instead of out enjoying it, so that justified even more procrastination. I did manage to pack up most the built in bookcase, which reminded me that we won't have those at the new house so those boxes may never get unpacked. Sean may need to do another week of hardcore moonlighting for all the furniture I'm going to need to buy....

I have had many, many interruptions this morning just trying to post this uninspiring and non-entertaining update but it has been a bad week for blogging so I felt I had to do something. Everyone else I know accomplishes so much and gets up very early to train for long races (even you, Sweatpants and a Mini-van) so I was going to feel really pathetic if I couldn't even manage this. I don't even make it to yoga anymore. I was too exhausted to keep up with the kids after doing it. So once again I am baffled trying to figure how other people get it all done. Sometimes I think they must have really messy houses but then again, so do I. I just have the option to pick up all the crap on the floor, seal it in a box, and not deal with it for 3 weeks....

5 comments:

H said...

Is it comforting to know you most certainly are not the only one not accomplishing much? You know I don't! Just enough to get by and keep everyone safe and somewhat happy. And that 5am wake-up time? I cannot comprehend that. I enjoy my runs but those happen when the kids are in school. At least you have the excuse of having two tiny ones at home! I've never understood how anyone could get anything done with little ones under their feet. Maybe they lock them in their rooms? Or they at least have good nappers? But then that's the time when you need a nap too...so no, nothing gets done and in my opinion that is just fine. Don't go all overachiever on me! You do a fabulous job just as you are. I don't know anyone else who bakes their own bread everyday. That's an accomplishment in itself!

Jeanette C. said...

No one is as together as they may seem. Quit comparing yourself to others. You are one of a kind and a great one at that!

Kit said...

I suggest you stay in the "delusional" stage as long as possible. Soon you will be in "where did all these boxes come from and how am I going to get them unpacked" stage. The delusional stage is much more fun. More importantly, I can't wait to see what Sean has cooked up with the tech guru! Good times and good entertainment at the Keenan's to come!!

Heather said...

Oh, my house is a disaster. I am trying to come to grips with the fact that I have become a "throw it in a closet or drawer and call it clean" kind of a woman since Andrew dropped his nap. I also started the threatening with him - taking his toys, t.v., Woody doll. All things that would make MY life miserable so they don't happen. I can tell by the look in his eyes that he's on to me.

Marjie said...

I hate to say it but the flylady has a plan for moving. She has a plan for everything and it works.