Sunday, March 18, 2012

More worries for the kids

We were driving home from the park today and had to stop near the stadium because there was a big dog fight going on in the street and of course I didn't want to run any over. I just put it in park and put the windows up as fast as we could. Some poor little dog was being attacked by four big scary dogs (rottweilers we think?), so the little dog at least was safe under my car while the four big dogs were going crazy banging into the car and trying to get under there too. Meanwhile people were screaming and trying to pull the big dogs away, kicking them, whatever they could so they could rescue the little dog.

Looked like two of the dogs who had big collars on had escaped from a nearby yard because their owner came running out covered in soap from his shower to pull one off and take him away. The other two had no collars, lots of people standing around, not sure what the story was there, where those ones came from. They were just going after the little dog, which did not fare well I'm afraid, and the kids are so traumatized by it. I was glad to see that the dogs didn't attack any of the people of course, especially since there was a stroller with a baby in it right there on the sidewalk. Cops were driving up as the dogs left my car so we left and didn't see the ending other than the little dog in his owner's arms, lots of screaming and crying and swearing. Aunt Bridget is visiting and is always on alert for dogs when we run so I'm afraid she is traumatized too. This happened on my usual running route, may have to pick up some pepper spray or something. Not sure that would help though. Pretty sure this will put off the kids' campaign to get a dog for a while....

6 comments:

Andrea said...

How horrible!

Heather said...

Oh my gosh - this is horrible! I have a soft spot for those little dogs. I'm glad to hear he/she survived. How scary. My mother in law lives in the country and carries pepper spray when she goes out walking in case she comes across a dog.

Stephanie said...

Wow!! I am traumatized by your story and I was already afraid of dogs.
I hate to see an animal get hurt, that is just so sad. Any breed of dog can just snap but it's especially scary when they have big jaws and teeth. Almost everyone in my neighborhood has dogs, I may have to get some pepper spray as well, that is a good idea.

Marjie said...

Awful, who wouldn't be traumatized by that. Shirley got bit by a dog while walking and will never feel confident walking again. People carry big sticks and golf clubs around here.

Kathleen said...

AlbuthreEdi
As the owner of two dogs, one huge chocolate lab (110#) and a little Shih Tzu (15#) I am sorry to hear of this.
Our Shih Tzu is the pack leader of our house! He controls the lab. Funny to watch, but would hate to see anything like what you experienced. So sad that people let their dogs run free.

Carrie (and Kevin!) Finnegan said...

That is terrible! I've been bit twice while jogging and stray dogs freak me out. The first time the owner was driving a pick up with a bumper sticker that said, "This truck protected by a pit bull with AIDS." Classy. The second time I called the police.