I was big and pregnant with Megan, living in El Paso while Sean did his internship. My Mom called to wake me up and told me to turn on the TV, even then I didn't bother with daytime TV. Everyone knows the horror of that day, I was trying to reach friends who lived there. Days later I found out that a friend from college lost her husband. He worked on an upper floor of the 2nd tower and was told to stay at his desk as the market was about to open. He just talked with his father-in-law who was outside the towers having a break when the 1st plane hit. He had survived the WTC bombing a few years prior and was lucky to walk away from this one too. So my friend knew without a doubt that her husband was in his office when the 2nd plane hit below him. She used to work there also, so she lost many friends that day. She finished law school and has remarried but I can't imagine how she gets through every anniversary with all the coverage.
Must be hard to focus on the good memories when footage of the actual event is shown over and over and over. Anna saw some of the coverage today at the hospital for Patrick's dr appt, had to answer her questions vaguely. I will be curious to find out if anything was said during Megan's class today. Not sure when they deem it appropriate to discuss. Hard for adults to understand, let alone children. Well, children in this country at least. Of course other countries deal with mass tragedies far too often.
And thus concludes Debbie Downer 9/11.
2 comments:
I don't discuss 9/11 with my students. I don't have enough information or resources to do it responsibly and it's not my place. With something that big, it's the parent's job. I teach with someone who wastes her days "enlightening" the children about topics that she has no right to teach. It drives me insane.
Andrea
Did you hear what they want to do now? I love it. A day of national service instead of all the repeats of pictures from that day. It helps people do something good in rememberence of 9/11.
Post a Comment