Day one of Christmas break by myself. Sean was home yesterday and the girls were in great spirits because of the novelty of a day off school, so I was feeling optimistic about our extra long break. But now it is day two and I predict it won't go as well. Also, they are having Pez for breakfast.
Back to Monday though, I managed to get the house picked up because our first house guests, Angela and Joe, long time friends from the Indy years, were coming for the night and I didn't want to scare them off or worse, show up as a mocking status update on facebook. Now I wouldn't say the house was "clean" because there wasn't a lot of scrubbing going on but key areas were sanitized and the guest room was cleared of toys, except for one tiny light saber that Joe found in the blanket. I swear I washed the sheets and remade the bed, but that must not be enough to defeat the force. After the girls forced Joe to discuss Star Wars for a painfully long time after dinner, getting stabbed with a light saber was a fitting way to end the night.
Oh and dinner... someday I will manage to cook AND clean in preparation for guests, but that day wasn't yesterday. No, by the time I made it to the grocery store and realized it was warm enough for a fire pit night, I changed the menu to make your own hot dogs night. Keep hoping that is a novelty for most people and they don't notice that they are eating kid food. Otherwise I end up making a nice adult meal and a different kid meal and by then the kitchen is trashed and I am stressed and no one has fun. I tried to arrange a night out but there were too many obstacles including army call (which meant Sean kept leaving during parts of the night where the kids had dangerous sticks of flaming food). I did pick the perfect wine to compliment the hot dogs at least and maybe that will blur their memory of the night and they will return again.
Ah, but now it is Tuesday and I am the only adult at home. The panic part is because it is the 21st and I'm not sure if we are ready for Christmas. I have friends (and I am not mocking) who have spreadsheets to keep track of all presents with all sorts of details. I have a closet full of boxes from Mr. McFeely my favorite delivery man, but who knows what is in them. Is it stuff I ordered? Did I remember to order stuff? Or is it just stuff from other people? We can't really open them early because I have so little time without nosy eyes and thus I can't start wrapping early. No space in the house is secure due to sneaky kids and a variety of doors that don't quite lock. And I did buy some wrapping paper but not sure if it's enough because when I was buying it I swear I could not remember a single gift I bought. I don't think it's because my memory is that bad (okay, not JUST because my memory is that bad) but because the presents are so boring. Santa Fail this year. After moving so many unused toys just last month, I wasn't exactly inspired to buy more.
Oh, and should I plan some special meals for Christmas? Is that what other people do? Clearly the children would love nothing more than some more Pez for a special breakfast so maybe I will load up on those and some hot dogs and wine for dinner! Another holiday full of treasured memories on the way for the Keenans! Ho ho ho!
3 comments:
Could you move the gifts to Sean's office so you can open them and see what you have without being discovered?
My kids were supposed to get haircuts today. We're surprising my mom with a professional family portrait on the 27th and the kids reallllly need haircuts. Had to cancel them because of the pink eye. I rescheduled for tomorrow which I feel a little funny about but they didn't seem bothered by it. As long as there's no puss....Ewwww. This might be a better time for Great Clips. :)
Spreadsheets?
I just went to Academy and Kohls and just bought a variety of manly things. Just to make sure ....
Post a Comment