Last night all the elements came together for crazy lady. Sean was working, girls had piano, Patrick had soccer, so lots of driving back and forth. It was also freezing out. Somehow I made a real dinner that no one got to eat while it was hot except Sean. And somehow I ended up at the soccer field on my own with Emily who insisted on going until she got there and realized how cold it was. Then she whined and cried and was miserable until I caved in and took her back to the car to warm up. After a few minutes I saw Patrick with several other adults around him, consoling him.... of course. Emily had strapped herself in her car seat so I just left her to run over and attend to Patrick who apparently had quite a collision. There was talk of football greatness, it was that kind of hit. I think we will pass on that. Then I had to run back to the car to check on Emily and I remembered I had a picnic blanket in the back so I wrapped her in it and went back to the field.
Meanwhile the other parents were calm and collected, having nice conversations, observing their children... and I was stressed and overwhelmed and cursing Emily for not staying home with the girls. She eventually rolled up in the blanket and laid on the ground until it was over. Patrick sobbed the whole way home because he was so cold once he stopped running. Good times all around. I can see why other people like putting their children in sports though. It looks lovely when your child is having fun and getting exercise and you can talk to other adults. Maybe someday I will understand. Hard to believe that before long it will be so hot that we won't even remember what this cold weather feels like. If Hawaii didn't involve homeschooling it would be looking pretty promising right about now.
2 comments:
feel your pain. hard to plan for that perfect storm
It does get easier. I still stress when I have all three at the field. But occasionally, the right mix of well behaved siblings is on hand and Avery/Parker run around too and I get to chat while everyone gets their 60 minutes of outdoor/exercise time.
Your night sounds like a big bummer. I've been there and it sucks.
Post a Comment