Okay, we've all seen the pictures and obligatory holiday posts, we can move on. Let's talk about Emily. We have evolved (devolved?) to using complisults. Origin: the show Community, where Jeff tells a nurse to go away and do twice the work of a doctor for half the pay, to which she replies, "thank you?" and Brita explains that it's a complisult, a combination of a compliment and an insult. So whenever Emily does something like writes her name, her favorite hobby due to our praise and amazement, we have started mentioning that it's odd that someone who can do that also still wears pull ups. Emily's attitude towards potty training is that she did it a few times, why does she have to keep doing it? This is annoying to me of course but I keep hoping this means she will suddenly change her mind one day and will just do it on her own, thereby skipping the "accident on my furniture" phase. I think her love of jumping on my furniture, along with Patrick, has ripped a hole in the seam on a couch cushion. Not pleased. I do not enjoy this phase either. Ready to be outside burning energy.
Ah yes, winter has returned for a few days, a complete shock. Just to be clear, I didn't want a tornado yesterday either. I had just cleaned the bathrooms, this is no time for my house to be blown away. Kind of like when someone almost crashes into my car I am extra annoyed if I just washed it. Hello, that would have been a wasted $10. Anyway, in complete seriousness, I had just moved the snow shovel and salt to the back of the garage and put winter coats in storage when I sent Emily outside to play and noticed it was cooling down. So, the surprise return of winter is my fault. Dusting of snow tonight? We'll see... Better than rain when you're in the hot tub at least. That is my favorite purchase this year and about the price of 2 ski trips, so I've won all around. I don't plan on ever skiing so for me I can have my equivalent of a ski trip in my own backyard now (and I do the chemicals so I know it's clean, unlike a rental's hot tub). Maybe some year the kids will make it to ski school but they're still asking for Disney too. Add it to the list.
The kids have had some other requests lately. Yesterday Patrick asked me in all seriousness why we didn't have more boys in the family. I joke about him being outnumbered by girls all the time but I think it just finally sunk in. I asked if he wanted a brother and he nodded and teared up. Well, we tried, you got Emily. She plays everything he wants and does what he tells her to do, just like a brother. I may have to plan more boy play dates I guess. Everyone is feeling more social with spring here (except for these few bitter days) and we are even getting invited to parties where we don't have to buy anything. Crazy, I know. I got distracted being social at the gym today and then only had 7 minutes to shower and get ready for lunch with a friend. Well worth it but my hair paid the price. So I may as well hit the hot tub and shower again.
Today is the day last year when Sean landed in Djibouti, so he doesn't seem to mind the cold rain/sleet. Better than extreme heat. I texted him that I was making fancy dinner and he wrote back to say he couldn't tell if I was being sarcastic. I guess I do joke about fancy dinner a lot and it usually means Schwan's food. Tonight I made Barefoot Contessa's filet of beef bourguignon, kind of like a fancy beef stew. Everyone mostly ate it which was good because I used up a whole box of Schwans filets and half a bottle of wine someone gave us... afraid to look it up and see how much it cost. Hate to cook with a good one but not worth going out in this cold with the kids to buy a different one.
Tomorrow is Mommy and Emily day which Emily gets so excited for. I was flattered until she told me it was because she gets to watch My Little Pony. Yes, so I can get stuff done I give in and let her watch that.... I should find something fun to do with her tomorrow. She suggested strawberry shopping. Maybe the wine store too.
No comments:
Post a Comment