Friday, April 26, 2013

Keenan Style Clean Eating

I've been hearing too much about clean eating lately and I'm not about to give up real baking but I decided that we could use more vegetables around here and fewer tater tots. So tonight I started getting rid of the banned food. Of course I also hate to waste food so some of it we've been eating (tater tots) and some of it I've been tossing. Just threw out the bottle of corn syrup which is of course devil juice but I had used 1/4 cup of it for something I baked a few years ago and then hung on to the rest of it. I checked the date... it expired the week Patrick was born... in 2007. It was probably still usable (!) but clearly I could purge it. I also poured out the old drink mixers that are all corn syrup. I may regret this tomorrow as I wait for Sean to return from his trip and really feel like a margarita. Oh wait, plenty of wine, I'll make it.

So I will be on a quest for healthy recipes that all of us will eat. Mr. Schwans Food is going to be so sad but I will still get plain fish from him and it's not cheap. I switched to ground bison a few weeks ago and the kids didn't notice. I guess I need to wean them off juice boxes in their lunches, that will be painful. They already protested the "healthy" applesauce without added sugar. They aren't going to go along with this quietly... I did have a great new vegetarian meal from Harry's the other night, I highly recommend that all you locals go try it! I wasn't even hungry later, shocking. Okay, it's time to use up the last of the hot fudge sauce, can't throw that out!

10 comments:

VAMOM said...

In the interest of all things good for you, I will send you FIL's recipe for Marquaritas.
Squeeze 2limes and one lemon.
Add one ounce of Contreau or Gran Marnier and
2 ounces of 100% blue agave tequila (high quality)

Shake at least one minute in ice filled shaker and pour into ice filled glasses. Should make two. I like salt on the rim.

P.s. love Patrick's room. I miss him ...move to Virginia.

Paul said...

Yes, that is my skinny Margarita recipe. I read bad stuff about corn syrup, and then good stuff. Who really knows. It is in everything.

Katie said...

We have this great store near us that you'd love! Other than Harney - haha! Lots of great non-GMO products sold there. Hmmm... would love to have you living closer to us! Lane loves Patrick too! Cheapest organic veggies ever and free apples. The #1 item in baby formula... corn syrup! argh! I find that annoying.

Stephanie said...

Has the campaigning begun already? I missed the starting gun. Allow me to tout the merits of West Michigan, a much more beautiful place than Central Michigan, which I know you are familiar with. For starters, Lake Michigan (like an ocean without salt and sharks.) You could live on Lake Michigan! It's beautiful and much more affordable than large cities. The schools are good and Grand Rapids itself was just rated by Forbes as the #1 city to raise a family in. Additionally it was named Beer City USA in 2012 and we have wonderful breweries. And conveniently enough there is a childless (read: free time) and incredibly crafty Aunt who lives there who would be delighted to help you out by bringing you wine if you run out or with babysitting, but also wouldn't bother you all the time unnecessarily. Also this Aunt has zero family nearby so you should put some extra bonus points in the pity column when you tally up where to move.
P.S. We have a new Home Goods store and a new World Market going up and plenty of fancy organic places too.

Kit said...

Well I will plug Manhattan. First, no stress of moving. Second, there really isn't any place you can't get to in less than 15 minutes. Third, we have People's Market which offers a variety of whole foods and clean eating options. Finally, the cost of living here may be higher than other places in Kansas but, overall, it is affordable compared to other places you might consider.

Paul said...

Must admit that Manhattan is safe, you are already there, good schools, and the explosions are far away on base. All good things. Needs better retail. mom

Stephanie said...

I would agree that staying where you are would be best! Less trauma for the children :)

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

So did someone demand you move to Russia? I see a deleted comment and I have to laugh when I see all the traffic I get from there.

Stephanie said...

Katie, my comment posted twice so I deleted one. OCD won't allow it.