Wednesday, March 20, 2013

American Girl Doll Adventures (and more)

Caroline and Bridget arranged for us to have dinner at the American Girl Doll restaurant in Tyson's Corner. Bridget had gone once before on her first day at her current job (which I won't put in the blog but those of you that know where she works... isn't this strange??) and her coworkers brought their dolls even. Umm, what? The food is actually pretty good and the wine was delicious! Nana was missed though as this was serious girl bonding. The boys stayed home and got takeout and raced around the house. Well, Nicholas and Patrick raced around, I'm pretty sure Sean and Andy drank heavily. (Not really.)

 Sienna was able to borrow a doll for the table. I don't think they realized that Megan is a fan too, poor girl is so tall that people think she is older than she is. Megan is really into designing a whole house for her dolls up in my loft which will be another post. I think my piles and piles and piles of interior design magazines are rubbing off on her.
 Oh look, I did go on this trip! The only photo of me which is fine because I didn't take any of my hair styling products with me and my hair was horrific and flat.
 Bridget and Anna with Caroline's vintage Samantha doll which has since been discontinued and is now worth a lot more on ebay.
 I think I took this on Megan's phone which means her camera is better than mine, what the heck?
 Fancy fruit, she is not impressed.
 Emily kept trying to get me to take this flag home for her. Yes, put that in my purse after dipping it in sauces, that would be great....
 Sienna was finally happy, poor girl was sick and teething all weekend. Ice cream cures all! She has the best long curly hair, so adorable, wish I had gotten more photos of her.
Can't miss photo op...  This was before we realized the computer systems were down and we wouldn't be able to check out. They couldn't even accept cash. Really? REALLY?? What kind of store is this? Just write it down on paper and take our cash and enter it later. It's not that hard to make money, people. We had to come back the next day on our way to the airport to salvage the trip for Megan. Apple maps got us quite confused the next day though. All I remembered from the night before when I was sitting in the back between two car seats in the dark was that we walked in through Macy's to get to the store and restaurant. So the next day when the navigation lady is having us go in circles I spotted Macy's and told Sean to just go there. It was also near Cheesecake Factory so we thought we'd get lunch first. After talking about their strawberry shortcake the morning before when we had the biscuits, I had to go there. So after lunch we could not find the store. It was bizarre, not in the directory or anything. So we finally call Caroline and learn that there is another mall nearby that also has a Macy's AND the American Girl Doll store. I give up. We were cutting it close to airport time so there was a lot of running while carrying Emily and then some power shopping to pick up the few things that Megan wanted. Kind of ridiculous. But, we made it to the airport on time, all was well.

When we got to Chicago for our flight into Manhattan we knew we had a short layover. We were in the back of the big plane and people were taking forever to get their bags out of the overhead bins. We had checked our bags (for free, the one perk to being army that I will miss) and thus didn't have to deal with that. I will also point out that it was such a full flight that they were checking anyone's bags for free at the gate. So when the large group of high school students coming home from some posh spring break tour were taking extra long to get their bags down I finally had enough. I knew they were used to being bossed around by adults all week on their tour so I told them to all go back in their seats so we could rush off the plane to make our connection as we didn't have bags to grab. They actually did it and we didn't get a single dirty look. It's a spring break miracle!

When we got to Manhattan we realized that we hadn't changed Emily's pull-up all day, no time in Chicago. She was soaked through by the time we landed (and we wiped down her seat with wipes, no worries future travelers). I changed her and waited for our luggage to find other pants for her to wear. So here she is in just her jacket, boots and new pull-up, we were laughing so hard. This is a family blog so Anna had to put her jacket over her, sorry. We had an amazing trip and now we are using the final 7 days of spring break to recover...


No comments: