Much like Phil on Modern Family (go watch it on Hulu.com right now if you haven't seen it yet) I have a tendency to come up with outrageous threats and punishments for the kids. I have never threatened to cancel Christmas like Phil did, but it has crossed my mind. I guess every time I pretend to call Santa on the phone I am jeopardizing presents so pretty close.
Anyway, I was so fed up with the girls in church today because they didn't want to stand or kneel at the right times, they said their legs were too tired, the usual. Next week we will have to sit front and center for the baptism, plus grandparents will be there, so pressure is on to whip this crew into shape. When we got in the van and were reviewing behavior I blurted out that they have to stand to watch TV this week so they will be strong enough to stand in church. I figured this will also cut down on TV time, double bonus. So far I have been holding firm on this threat/punishment but did amend it so they can kneel if they want. Yes, kneel before the TV, it is kind of like their personal church anyway.... Sean snapped this photo which made Megan mad. Anna could care less (clearly she doesn't read my blog).
8 comments:
my gosh Julie..we are laughing hysterically. Not sure any of mine liked church either..Dad and I however made the seven church visit on Holy Saturday beginning when we were in second grade. We each remember going by ourselves (or with friends. What was up with our generation? Maybe no TV to watch.
So funny and really Phil like.
So perfect and funny. Almost logical. My mom just used to threaten me with the horse whip. I could never sit still.
LOVE IT!! I will have to give it a try! I too, LOVE Phil and always have outrageous threats that I could/would never follow through with!
That is soooo funny!! I can always count on your blog to give me a good laugh for the day.
If they are good you could promise them a trip to Italy!
Lucky for Sean I am like Phil in that way too... in a burst of last minute panic I tend to offer up ridiculous gifts like, a poker trip to Vegas with buddies or Pebble Beach with his Dad. Always seems like a great idea until it's time for him to leave, you know like when I'm 8 months pregnant. I know the kids are plotting a situation where they can cash in on this weakness.
ps I did let Anna kneel on a pillow today when her knees got sore. I'm not totally heartless. ha
You would have made a great teacher Julie you would have many children to play mind games with all day. Dad
Post a Comment