Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Readjusting

Sean had a meeting last night so when he got home at 8:30pm he was a little surprised it seemed to find the kids watching TV, the kitchen trashed, and me having a nice drink while I read a magazine.  That pretty much sums up how life was 5 of the 6 months he was gone.  The remaining month we did something similar, just in other people's houses.  I did at least have Emily in bed before he got home, but then again, that was because she fell asleep on the way home from soccer at 7pm.

Today it took me an hour to even think of something to make for dinner, just not used to having anyone to feed who isn't thrilled with kid food.  Chicken bites and tater tots and frozen peas??  Sean is wanting to eat healthier too so that's adding to the challenge.  I also find that I'm not sure what to do with free time and I get anxious if I'm not taking full advantage of having another adult in the house.  It occurred to me this afternoon that I could go grocery shopping alone after Sean got home, but then I had the pressure of doing it right, not giving up half way through because the kids were filling the cart with crap.  I had to show up at home with REAL FOOD and I used a list.

I did manage to stay up later than 9pm last night though so I'm making progress.  I have apparently been decompressing the past week and have been exhausted, hoping that was just a stage and not my new lack of energy level.  We did get the sitter and the kids let us go out without them on Monday for my birthday, hoping to keep that up.  Sean is still waiting for the moonlighting computers to arrive so he can jump back into that but in the meantime we are just trying to enjoy putting the past 6 months behind us.

I feel I have to include a funny kid story, so let me tell you my least favorite thing to wake up to... finding blood on the hand towel in the kids' bathroom and then a trail of blood to Patrick's bed, thanks to his bloody nose habit.  And then finding that he has taken off his pull up and is sleeping naked, meaning I will need to wash sheets along with that towel...  Good morning!  At least the littles get to sleep in now that Sean has resumed driving the girls to school.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Good to get that extra sleep, it gets rid of 6 months of stress! I find that when the seasons change, the nights are cool and it is dark early, I sleep more. Except for last night for no reason at all. Mom

Carrie (and Kevin!) Finnegan said...

Parker has a bloody nose habit too. So disturbing to wake up to a trail of blood!!