Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Up early

Sean was so paranoid about his alarm not going off that he just got up at 2:30am and found a place to skype us.  He is checking in at 4:45am I think and somehow ends up in Norfolk, VA during the wee hours of Friday.  He will finally have phone service again but I did suggest he wait until 6am to text me.  Until then we will operate under "no news is good news".  While others on his flight will wait around for a day or two until their next flight, Sean will get picked up by Nana and Pops and head up to Wintergreen for cool temps, BOLD ROCK cider (they seriously aren't paying me to plug them, although feel free to suggest that they do so), the hot tub, good food, etc etc.  Then he's off to Ft Benning to turn in his army junk and then on to Manhattan on Monday.  Five sleeps.  Emily keeps talking about the airport and balloons.  I guess I will be getting balloons to bring with us.  Never sure how much she understands but I think she is all over this concept.

We got to stop in and see Sean's department today and I think they are ready for him to come back.  Lucky for him he just missed the huge, huge pain the butt hospital inspection that comes around every few years.  Good timing all around.  He is also leaving some big drama behind in Djibouti, his poor replacement...  For many reasons he is happy to be boarding that plane!

As for Megan, she did fracture her arm.  Nothing too serious but she did end up with a big cast just to protect it while it heals over the next month.  We never, ever would have thought she would be the one kid to end up with a cast.  Even during skype tonight when Sean could see the acrobatics in the background he was marveling about this.  These littles need to be in all day preschool like, 3 days ago.  Guess I will settle for half day starting tomorrow for Patrick and Monday for Emily...  have I mentioned this about 37 times now?  Clearly it's all I think about.  Well, that and all the various countdowns I have going on until Sean gets home.  Just put out the last trash and recycling.  Because Sean will do that when he gets back??  I don't mind doing it, just like knowing next time I do it Sean will at least watch the kids while I'm out there.  I never know what I'm going to walk back into here...

6 comments:

VAMOM said...

Oh my gosh! Poor Megan!
We will be up early tomorrow to get Sean from the airport. Leaving this morning for Newport News and Norfolk. See you on Skype!

Kathleen said...

So happy for you all that Sean is on his way home! Nice that he can visit with his parents!
So sorry to hear about Megan's arm. Tell her to get well soon!

Carrie (and Kevin!) Finnegan said...

Sorry about Megan's arm!! That stinks! I'm getting so excited for Sean to return and it doesn't even have any bearing on my life!! Can't wait to see pics when he returns. Can you get balloons out there? There is a nationwide helium shortage - so call before you go to save yourself some grief. All the grocery stores here are tapped out. It's some weird government involvement in production and politics. Just another attempt for them to goof up Sean's homecoming I suspect!!! :)

julie said...

I read about the helium thing last year and am always surprised to see balloons around here still. I hate balloons so I am not sad about the messed up state of helium control. We may need to greet Sean with water balloons, that would make for great photos.

Carrie (and Kevin!) Finnegan said...

LOL. Water balloons! Love it! I did see the U.S. Helium pipeline, or underground storage is partly in Kansas, so maybe that is why. Score one for Kansas!!!

Stephanie said...

Can't wait to see some welcome back photos!! You only get a few days of no blogging, we'll need updates!