Thursday, February 28, 2008

Survivor Week

No, not the show Survivor, which I'm always surprised to hear is still on, but a little money saving tip I just read. You know the articles in women's magazines that tell you ways to save money which are always common sense, well I read them anyways just in case I missed out on the announcement that gas is free on Tuesdays. Well, the latest tip is to play Survivor Week and just live on food that's already in your cupboard, calling for some creative meals. I can't help but think of a Simpson's episode where Marge is gone for some reason (Sean could tell you) and Homer and the kids are eating something with Tom Collins mix and ketchup. We never reach those depths of the cupboards but we do play that game a lot but for a different reason. It's called, "Too Lazy". Yes, too lazy to go to the grocery store. Play it all the time. At least I always have the stuff on hand to make bread which comes in extra handy for a week like we've had, also known as Toast Week. I guess I've been too sick to think of the money we've saved on groceries but I'm sure Sean is putting it to good use at the roulette wheel. Red, baby!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Confession, had cheerios for dinner, and for the rest of the fam, "quesadillas", or chz melted in a tortilla shell. My question is when is your trip to Vegas?

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, good to know there are people out there like me...that's why Spaghettio's invented...

Marjie said...

I pull out the pantry in the motor home and it is just empty shelves. All that is in the fridge is beer and condiments. Today is HEB day in Corpus. We made the groceries last an extra week. We call it living out of the freezer. I even had frozen bread to bake.

julie said...

Sean has banned all forms of canned pasta in our house due to some food poisoning he had as a child from it. The sight of it, or worse, the smell of it would probably make him sick he thinks. We do lots of starch and cheese:
Italian: spaghetti with shredded cheese melted
Mexican: cheese tortillas
American: grilled cheese
snack: cheese and crackers

Needless to say, I always have a drawer full of cheese to fall back on. The girls even love brie which I never even had until I was in my late 20s.

Katie said...

you know you have way too much food when you haven't been to the store in 3 weeks - yes 3 - we are getting close to an empty cupboard and I'm hoping to not move any of it! All the good stuff is gone out of the freezer so I need to go to the store tonight. The husband who can't drink milk somehow manages to eat all the ice cream treats!

VAMOM said...

O.K. I need to say that it was canned spaghetti given to the kids the last day of a ski vacation and no it wasn't food poisoning but a virus that went through the entire ski resort. It was ugly...