Well, thanks to some road condition tips from Jennifer Walker (the 2nd as we call her since we had a good friend with the same name in TX) we found out that it was safe to leave the bomb shelter. Yes, after driving one entire block in terrible snow conditions we discovered that the roads were 100% dry and clear. Felt like we had been duped by the weather guys. Oh well, just meant Sean got to procrastinate even longer on the oil changes that he was supposed to do before we left. (oh, so close to killing the volvo... good effort).
Anyway, we endured 1.5 hours of Megan complaining about how long the drive was, which confirmed that she would never survive the trip to Disney. (Ah, can't wait to relate this story to her when she is older so she can take the blame for that decision.) Started off with the dinosaur restaurant, thinking we would check that off the list quickly only to discover that they immediately start begging to come back again the next day. We compromise and sign the contract to come back just before we head home on Friday. Well, Sean signs it at least, I secretly plan to ditch them and go shopping around there, he heh.
Then we check into the Great Wolf Lodge and Megan finally notices all the wolf decor... she has obviously not made the connection before. I should mention that Megan is deathly afraid of wolves to the point where she will not go anywhere in our house by herself, always takes Anna, the bodyguard/wolf bait. This annoys me to no end because sometimes I need Megan to just go grab me something from another room and it turns into this big ordeal. I recently asked her if she really thought I was going to open the door and let a wolf in? She was horrified and said, "don't give me more ideas to be afraid of". Please... I won't let a housecat in, why would I let a dirty wolf in on my new carpet and furniture?? (as an aside, we will have to move if she ever sees the coyote that my parents saw howling right outside the guest room when they were here once. not sure coyote is any better than a wolf...)
Back to the original story, the girls had a great time at the water park and got really tired out, victory! Patrick did well sleeping for a few hours and then discovered that we wouldn't let him cry long in a hotel (not sure why I thought others would be bothered by this as it has been proven that I am the only one who can hear him cry at night), so he played that card frequently and got to sleep on one of us on the couch most the night.
I didn't let that slow me down the next day though as I took him shopping with me while Sean took the girls to the water park and to various other moneymaking activities that the hotel has figured out. Patrick tried hard to be really fussy while I tried on clothes, following instructions from Daddy no doubt. I still managed to spend what I call "Vegas" at a few stores down in Kansas City. Sean was suspicious of my purchases until I reminded him of how much he'd be spending just on the ticket alone for his guys' weekend in a few weeks. After I find out how much he loses at the poker table I will then resume shopping...
Anyway, all in all we decided that it was the perfect little vacation for us... 2 nights away was enough and 1.5 hours of driving was about all we could stand. Also great to get back on a Friday afternoon so we could have a few days to relax and catch up on laundry, aka my day job. Oh, I also realized that this was the first time I had left Manhattan in 3 months. I hadn't even noticed either so I guess that's a sign that we do enjoy life in the little Manhattan. A few great restaurants and a lot of great internet shopping and I'm good to go... Megan just told me tonight that she never wants to move so I think she loves it too. Or maybe she finally believes me when I tell her that there are no wolves in this part of the country...
Anyway, we endured 1.5 hours of Megan complaining about how long the drive was, which confirmed that she would never survive the trip to Disney. (Ah, can't wait to relate this story to her when she is older so she can take the blame for that decision.) Started off with the dinosaur restaurant, thinking we would check that off the list quickly only to discover that they immediately start begging to come back again the next day. We compromise and sign the contract to come back just before we head home on Friday. Well, Sean signs it at least, I secretly plan to ditch them and go shopping around there, he heh.
Then we check into the Great Wolf Lodge and Megan finally notices all the wolf decor... she has obviously not made the connection before. I should mention that Megan is deathly afraid of wolves to the point where she will not go anywhere in our house by herself, always takes Anna, the bodyguard/wolf bait. This annoys me to no end because sometimes I need Megan to just go grab me something from another room and it turns into this big ordeal. I recently asked her if she really thought I was going to open the door and let a wolf in? She was horrified and said, "don't give me more ideas to be afraid of". Please... I won't let a housecat in, why would I let a dirty wolf in on my new carpet and furniture?? (as an aside, we will have to move if she ever sees the coyote that my parents saw howling right outside the guest room when they were here once. not sure coyote is any better than a wolf...)
Back to the original story, the girls had a great time at the water park and got really tired out, victory! Patrick did well sleeping for a few hours and then discovered that we wouldn't let him cry long in a hotel (not sure why I thought others would be bothered by this as it has been proven that I am the only one who can hear him cry at night), so he played that card frequently and got to sleep on one of us on the couch most the night.
I didn't let that slow me down the next day though as I took him shopping with me while Sean took the girls to the water park and to various other moneymaking activities that the hotel has figured out. Patrick tried hard to be really fussy while I tried on clothes, following instructions from Daddy no doubt. I still managed to spend what I call "Vegas" at a few stores down in Kansas City. Sean was suspicious of my purchases until I reminded him of how much he'd be spending just on the ticket alone for his guys' weekend in a few weeks. After I find out how much he loses at the poker table I will then resume shopping...
Anyway, all in all we decided that it was the perfect little vacation for us... 2 nights away was enough and 1.5 hours of driving was about all we could stand. Also great to get back on a Friday afternoon so we could have a few days to relax and catch up on laundry, aka my day job. Oh, I also realized that this was the first time I had left Manhattan in 3 months. I hadn't even noticed either so I guess that's a sign that we do enjoy life in the little Manhattan. A few great restaurants and a lot of great internet shopping and I'm good to go... Megan just told me tonight that she never wants to move so I think she loves it too. Or maybe she finally believes me when I tell her that there are no wolves in this part of the country...
8 comments:
Always hilarious.
Glad you had a good trip!
Aunt Stephanie
I am so proud of your shopping skills, I taught you well. Re Megan's aversion to car trips, remember when we went to the caverns in New Mexico. She hated riding when she was 2 months old. After a trip to Austin, I vowed the next time I was in a car with her, she would be driving.
Stephanie was the same way, when we drove to Higgins Lake (in 2 cars), a 90minute ride, we would stop half way and transfer her to the other car, to spread the joy and suffering.
With the writer's strike now effecting my tv watching, I have started rewatching Arrested Development and just came to the episode where they think there are wolves in the house. I love reading your blogs. Someone smells like poop. Must go.
Andrea
ps Mom, you know Stephanie can read your comments
One of my fav AD episodes is where they are all laying around the house like the lazy people they are and Michael comes in and asks if there is a carbon monoxide leak. We frequently make that joke around here, yet another lazy weekend...
Carbon monoxide leak is one of my favorites too!
And mom, if I had the window seat I might have been ok.
Or the happy set.
Stephanie
Julie,
Your whole family is hilarious!! Nice of you not to mention that my wonderfully illustrated "Little Red Riding Hood" that I sent to Megan was the start of her fear of wolves!
Hmm, we had been debating where the fear of wolves stemmed from and couldn't remember who sent the book. Thanks, now we know who to send the bill for therapy to...
Steff, you had the window seat, it was a 3 seat station wagon, and you 4 girls were spread out in 2 cars anyway.
At least you didn't fight the car seat too much. And you had the best sense of humor. At a very young age, as soon as you started talking, you were making word puns. Sadly, now lost in space.
Post a Comment