Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Who Invented Church?

Yeah, the kids would like to know the answer to that one and they aren't buying my response that religion is how each culture expresses their quest for a higher being. Sean gave up trying to coax Anna to stay in her Sunday school class after she screamed out, "I hate God". Decided she needed some blessings after that and brought her into mass... Time to go tour the Catholic school I guess.

7 comments:

julie said...

I forgot to mention that Anna got a cross necklace from my mom for Valentine's Day and when Megan asked her what she got she said, "it's an X". Hmm, definitely needs some churchin'.

VAMOM said...

oh my gosh..I am laughing out loud!!
Anna must take after her father. He put his foot down when he was confirmed..in 10th grade he said "no more CCD..Please!" Leo refused vacation Bible school after Kindergarten. It is funny to see some of this come back to haunt you when you have your own children..ha, ha!

julie said...

Trust me, I am the only one getting this family to church, 4 against 1. Donuts are frequently involved.

H said...

As you know we don't fight the fight, but I give lots of props to those who do! Probably should, I remember vividly being at a party in TX and Matthew shouting "why do they have a T on their wall?" Anna will come around I am sure! Catholic school can't hurt though...

Marjie said...

I remember disliking church when I was little. Too much sitting still. But this was congregational, which was long and a lot of sitting. I distinctly remember a threat of the belt if I didn't improve my sitting skills.

You girls were pretty good. We did decide that being in the nursery made it all worse. Sitting up front helped. Closer to the action.

Stephanie said...

Mom is just being polite when she says we were good. Maybe by 'we' she means you three. I recall hating going to church with a passion. (Passion of the Christ has different meaning for me, lol) Once we were there I knew to behave, but it was the getting there that was the worst. I won't tell them when they are older if they act bratty enough they might get left home, it's a valuable weapon. But Catholic school is a good idea, then they are all set for the week, no need to go on Sunday (is my theory). You could practice at home and make them watch the local mass on TV. Which I might add was my first job in TV Production, which didn't last long, filming church was a giant snoozer. Karmic punishment. At least I was paid to be there...

VAMOM said...

Hilarious Stephanie...Leo is right there with you on this. Of course he has a girlfriend now who takes him to church with her on Sunday..AND they are both in confirmation together. Yes! I'm about to skate out of motherhood with four for four being confirmed...now I can just sit back and watch everyone raise my grandchildren...oh so much more fun!
I think as soon as the Catholic Church waffled on the "mortal sin" of missing mass and hell fire and damnation this generation did a "hey, wait a minute...."