Saturday, August 14, 2010

Deja Vu

No, not the Michigan strip club chain, I'm talking about that feeling of sitting in the safe room with a 9 month old and wondering what is going on outside. Patrick was the exact age Emily is now and while I never did hear the tornado siren I did see the sideways trees and immediately remembered the lessons we learned from last time around. Wasted no time wondering if it was for real, I snatched Emily from her crib, remembered to grab my cell phone and then screamed for the rest of the kids to run to the safe room. We couldn't hear much of what was going on because the a/c ran the entire time but we had a lot more water rushing down the walls this time so I knew the wind was strong (93mph according to facebook). Power only flickered a few times so I knew the house was still standing above us. We finally ventured out, luckily not needing the shoes (now moldy and nasty) we stored in there after the last time when we didn't have any and realized they would be helpful if we had to pick our way out of the wreckage. We did have some "branches" down but again, happy to live in a neighborhood with no big trees. Nice to have power when it is so hot. I found some friends so desperate to cool down (and power their DS game thing) that they even ate our "fancy nacho dinner". Most pathetic dinner party ever but the a/c was lovely and it's always nice to have adults to talk to after a full day of children.



This branch just made me chuckle. I hear some bigger ones fell elsewhere. The weirdest thing that happened to us was my cushions on the front porch ended up down by the hot tub under the back porch. Just glad to find them.




We were just on the edge of another storm system a few hours later and luckily did not have to visit the safe room twice in one day.

1 comment:

Katie said...

pretty moon - we noticed it last night here - not so pretty storm though!