Sunday, August 22, 2010

You're Back in Kansas, Sean

Ah, nothing like picking up right where you left off... Prince Patrick was up to his usual demands and there is to be no varying things like the driving route. We were headed home tonight and Sean takes a different route into our neighborhood and Patrick was not pleased. Why yes, we did do a u-turn and do it all over again, the "right" way. I think that was about the time Sean suggested I fire up the (much appreciated) Margarita machine when we got home and in exchange he would wrestle the Tiny Tyrant to bed.

I spent many hours today trying to wear TT out in anticipation of an early and successful bedtime. In addition to so called tennis on the porch, we now do Stair Ball. Feel free to spread the latest sports sensation.... you just take a ball and throw it up the stairs and let it bounce back down, hitting your child in the head. Never fails to amuse. Now, if you are feeling like your child has too much energy like TT, then you throw it all the way up the stairs to the landing so the child has to go retrieve it. Do that 20-30 times, it's a good workout. For the child! Finally, something that wears the child out, but not you! I was trying to make up for this morning when TT strapped himself in the suitcase and demanded that I zip him up and spin it around. People, I had to do this for over 10 minutes. I was dizzy just spinning my arm, I don't know how he didn't throw up in there. He did get rather sweaty though. BUT, he did not get tired, so what's the point?

Tomorrow we are on deck for back to school so the girls wanted to try out their new wake-up time. I am trying to think of ways to keep them all very active so they will fall asleep at the designated bedtime for the school year. I KNOW, I should have started getting them on this schedule a week ago but it takes a lot of effort and planning and for what, to have them up early the last week of summer, whining and spitting on me? No, I will take whatever peace and quiet I can get, when I can get it...

In unrelated news, I recently saw a poster that said "Education: It's a jouney, not a race." That's right, some people missed spelling class on that journey and then they made a poster that they sold to a school who then posted it. And yes, I did place in a proofreading competition for Business Professionals of America in 1991, thank you for asking. I suddenly don't feel like my entire education was a waste, although judging by the amount of laundry I had to do today, you wouldn't know it. This scullery maid better get to bed because the fighting and spitting starts at 6:45am tomorrow.

3 comments:

Katie said...

there is a free vacation awaiting you in NY with no TT! you deserve a weekend away and some shopping and eating out! hint, hint

Marjie said...

You can't be talking about our precious grandchildren!

julie said...

Oh yeah, I am definitely on for a trip to NY. Before baby or after baby? I need to wean this baby first or else bring her with me which makes shopping difficult. Sean will chime in soon with "take the baby". He knows I can't spend as much that way! I've got some poker money burning a hole in my pocket and it's just not as fun to blow it on groceries.