Friday, January 14, 2011

Advanced in Fighting


Emily isn't walking or talking much yet but at 14 months the girl is a pro at fighting. She knows what will make Patrick mad and she is quick to sound the alarm when he fights back. She loves to go sit in his little chair and she will often take his lunch box and hold it while she sits there... double taunting. And then she pastes a huge smile on her face and waits for the reaction. She pushes back when he tries to push her out of it and I have to intervene quickly because Patrick is not gentle. He is not happy that she's mobile now and it has led to many behavior issues lately. Sean's project for the 3 day weekend is to secure a location where I can put him in time out. I have no means to punish him lately and it shows. When Anna sat down to breakfast this morning, he turned to her and immediately shot her with his toast gun. This was after he took his wagon railing upstairs to wake them up, machine gun style. I have never let him watch anything with guns, for the record.

9 comments:

Jeanette C. said...

When Ben was in 1st or 2nd grade all of the pictures he drew consisted of robots with some horrible types of weapons as limbs. We definitely didn't promote violence in our house but in his imagination it was as natural as breathing. Tanner has no interest in weapons at all. Sometimes I think you just can't fight nature and basic personality. You just have to channel it into something positive.

VAMOM said...

So cute of Emily!! She doesn't look so much like a baby anymore...growing fast!! Time out in our house was a bathroom with nothing in it..that way they couldn't use the excuse of needing to use the bathroom to get out of time out.

julie said...

I need to be able to lock Patrick someplace, which sounds cruel but it's the only way he will stay. The bathroom would be too much fun for him... faucet to spray, toilet to flush repeatedly, shower to bang around in....

Marjie said...

He must have the gun gene. Emily is so cute, missing her hugs.

VAMOM said...

Yes they do tend to try and destroy a room when they are mad and in timeout. When we were at the OBX in a gorgeous home the small little bathroom in a hallway looked like it had wallpaper picked off the wall and I surmised a three year old was put there a few times for timeout while on vacation!

H said...

When I used to teach I thought surely the boys who drew pictures of creepy monsters with guns were the products of bad parenting. If that were truly the case I'd be top of the bad mom list because both my boys love weapons. Sticks, crossbows, pistols, shotguns, bombs...really. You know we only watched Kipper, Diego and the Wiggles in their early years, and they've never seen a PG-13 movie. They just can't help themselves, I think it's like us liking to shop and drink wine.
Emily gets cuter with every picture. You are going to have your hands full with her and Patrick in the next few years! They remind me of Sam and Kate.

julie said...

Emily and Patrick are kicking each other while they eat lunch. I never thought it would start so young. It would be nice if they could entertain each other though and in a way that might not injure one or both of them. Oh and Jeanette, why didn't you have another after Ben?? Patrick was so sweet when we decided to have Emily. Sigh.

Jeanette C. said...

I agree with my cousin that also has 2 boys. The 1st one has a halo, the 2nd has nubs and the 3rd would have a full set of horns. Not taking any chances! I do love to hear your Patrick stories though brings back a lot of memories. His halo must be a little tilted at times but all your kids look like angels to me.

Andrea said...

I love her fighting face! It mostly looks like a smile but also a hiss. How many days until Patrick starts kindergarten?