Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Winter charm

This house looks great with the snow, the backyard is beautiful, the snow covered branches outside the windows upstairs are like art. The walk down the driveway and then down the street to the ice encrusted van in negative 3 degree weather while carrying Emily and dragging Patrick, umm, not charming. Thank God we have such short bursts of winter here because I am counting down until it thaws and it looks like that will be Friday. I did shovel the driveway, thank you very much (had to scuffle with Sean over that one because the other person would have to watch 4 stir crazy kids), but that doesn't matter when you can't get up the cul de sac. I know because I tried yesterday and I was stuck for quite a while but I did succeed at last and did not take out any mailboxes. Not a good way to meet neighbors.

I then tried to teach Patrick how to buckle himself in his car seat in hopes that if he could do that then I could put him in the back row of a new AWD vehicle that isn't a minivan. He's not so good at it and I don't know if he could ever do it. I understand making it hard for a child to undo, but why can't they make it so a child can buckle in themselves at least? Megan doesn't even have the finger strength to get it to click. Oh well, it is much less stressful driving an old van in the snow. At this point a little fender bender wouldn't even be noticeable on the van. (And every time I ding the side mirror pulling into the garage it doesn't even make a new mark! Nope, a zebra chewed off that paint years ago on a Texas safari.)

Patrick does finally grasp the concept of cold though and was whining and crying for a long time after the walk up the hill yesterday. Maybe he will let me zip his coat and put on mittens today? He quickly latched on to the concept of beach vacation though after I tried to console him with that plan for spring break. Of course, still no concept of time so I hope he forgets instead of asking every day if we are leaving. Sean and the girls go to Florida in a few weeks and trying to keep them from talking about it is a challenge. He will be furious if he figures that one out.

Well, this has been terrifically boring, but such is life in January. Time to get Patrick to eat more than cookies for breakfast.

2 comments:

Heather said...

It took me 5 tries to get up my driveway this morning and 6 tries to get up the cul-de-sac after that. I was yelling by the time I got to the stop sign. Not fun. In Minnesota it was months of stressful driving. I love that here it's just a few days.

I always found January to be boring as well until I went and had to kids during the month. Now I find it expensive.

Marjie said...

Your driveway is the Mystery Spot of Kansas, I always feel drunk walking across it.