Tuesday, May 1, 2012

What is the plural form of nemesis?

I am currently battling with my arch nemesis the printer and my other nemesis (the auxiliary nemesis?) STATE FAIR PROJECT.  They work together and team up on me and require a lot of time on my computer that is not fun.  The printer is very finicky and refuses to acknowledge the wireless router RIGHT NEXT TO IT unless I get firm and turn off the printer while reminding it that I have permission to throw it away (Sean is sick of these problems and has thrown that gauntlet).  So then I turn it back on and and it's all, "oh, here's the wireless signal, I must have overlooked it" and I quickly print something.  God help me when we find an error and have to reprint because that prissy printer goes back to, "what wireless signal, I don't know what you're talking about," and I shut it down again.


Meanwhile normal life is screaming around us and interfering with my ability to quickly print everything we need.  When I was trying to print up the paperwork for Sean's bonus the highlight was when I finally got it to print and that paper slipped off the printer tray and shot right under the entertainment center.  It's still there... we'll get that when we move someday.   It is a testament to my self control that I didn't punch the printer or the cabinet.

Anyway, this state fair project has mostly been done without any input from me because I am definitely on team "do it yourself".  I did pull out a wine cork from Veritas Winery for her to glue on and represent the wine industry, which I told her falls under agriculture.  Farmers drink, right?  I would be hesitant to include anything to do with drinking in a school project but they give my kids wine twice a week at school, so that's cool.

So for the random part of this post, I will recap the weekend.  Started out with some wishful thinking on Megan's part that she had appendicitis (which she thinks will bring Sean home).  She even had Anna show me her scar from her surgery and then showed me that it hurt in that same spot on her.  She did seem in pain but no fever, she had been eating and I recalled that we've had this pain on and off for a while.  However, having sent Anna to school when she had this problem, I tend to get paranoid and pay attention.  I mean, not paranoid enough to wake up all the kids and hit the ER, but paranoid enough to run through my list of friends in town who could help out if I begged.  Once again, everyone seemed to have fled town and I was digging down pretty deep so that didn't help my stress level.  I just kept checking on her all night and then in the morning I thought I'd have to run her in to get checked out.  Of course she woke up feeling totally fine, my prescription of "go to bed" worked, patient cured, it's a miracle.  Or an ulcer from stress, you know, deployments are awesome for the kids.

After all that I figured I could handle taking them to Topeka for the day, way easier than the ER that I thought we'd be battling.  Let me tell you, I was ready to whip out my "you have woken me up no less than 1000 times in the past 6 years with negative head CTs" card to get faster service too.  Now that Sean is deployed I have no problem playing this deck of cards I've been hanging on to.  Anyway, Topeka trip, a success, wore the kids out, not much fighting, hit the zoo, the park, the train, Red Robin, bookstore bribe, took up the whole day.  Then Sunday we only left to go to church and then were trapped inside the rest of the day by rain.  Decrease in sanity.  Oh wait, back to the Topeka park.. it was  inhabited by a lot of white hip hop families, which I found impressive because I didn't know they still sold that kind of clothing.  Tonight Patrick had his baseball cap on sideways and I asked him why and he said he saw someone wearing it that way.  He sure did, UGH.  I might have to just hide the hat for a while and hope he forgets.  Of course if he refuses to get a haircut without daddy then he may have the Vanilla Ice hairstyle going by the time September rolls around, bleached out by the pool and sun...  Ironically, Patrick does not enjoy it when I crank Ice, Ice Baby on the 90s station in the car.  





Yes, that last shot is Emily fighting with Anna.  She's right in the mix of it now and talking more every day so she can boss us all around.  You should see her control the skype sessions with Sean.  Even today when it was just me she kept climbing up on me and putting her feet in front of the camera and saying, "two feet".  Yes, fascinating.  We got to see Sean stand for revery as he was outside when they played it, and then at the end they do a little part that makes me think it's time for the dog races to start.  Perhaps disrespectful to say that but it's true.  Oh and we saw the wild Africa dogs at the zoo too, they are fast!  I even got a photo, with Patrick's face in it as always.  He can't miss a shot.


1 comment:

VAMOM said...

Great pictures! Hilarious post. Glad you still have a sense of humor!
Yes, Emily is Daddy's girl!
Bravo for going to Topeka on your own!