Here is the latest from Djibouti:
==============
Well, they ended up cancelling the second day of the MEDCAP, lots of friction between us and the Djibouti ministry of health. Basically, they'll take everything we offer (without so much as a thank you), and then they ask for/expect more. They were supposed to bring 4 providers to the village yesterday, and each of them was meant to work side-by-side with a US military provider. So that's what our entire plan centered on, and as I've said, that's meant to be the focus now- putting the host nation providers out front. Well, only 3 of their providers showed up, and then the ministry of health representative insisted that our providers work in separate rooms so that we could see more patients. Then the Djiboutian providers saw only about half as many as ours did, and they took a 2 hour lunch while we worked all the way through.
Also, they brought the ultrasound machine, but the Djiboutian OB provider took it into her room and wouldn't let me do any of the scans, even after it was explained to her that I'm a radiologist. She got upset and was very adamant that she was going to do the scans, not me. I refrained from saying "Listen, at the moment, I'm the best qualified individual in this entire country to use this machine". So instead, I worked in the pharmacy with the villages pharmacist, because the meds that we ordered were all made in the US, instead of the French supplied meds that they are used to. I was also helpful for interpreting the prescriptions written by the US providers. The pharmacist was actually very nice, we talked quite a bit through the interpreter in between patients. And the room wasn't too hot. Still an exhausting day.
So then USAID had a meeting with the Djiboutian ministry of health yesterday evening, and the Djiboutians were upset that we didn't bring drinking water for all the villagers, even though we explained to them at every meeting that we weren't allowed to spend our funding on that, and the local leaders in the village assured us that there was plenty of water for villagers in the local well. So that, combined with the heat made them decide to cancel the second day at that village (today). We are still supposed to go to a second village on Sat/Sun, but we'll see what they decide on that.
=================
Well, I guess this still counts as checking the deployment box. I won't spread local rumors but I do know his partner back here has not had good times with Sean gone. And I'm not positive but I think after Sean finishes up on this next (possible) little MEDCAP he will then just spend the next 6 weeks or so "planning" for the final one which will be near where he was last week. Not sure what is planned for that or how helpful radiology skills will be but I did meet a soldier at the car place yesterday who was very jealous to hear that Sean is in Djibouti. It's reputation as a cushy and safe assignment is well known. Just hoping the next 12 weeks go much faster than the last 12 weeks!
No comments:
Post a Comment